TWENTY

CHAPTER TWENTY

CHAPTER TWENTY

◆ ◆ ◆ ◆ ◆

Nora and Veronica, still not on speaking terms sat down beside each other as Betty talked about Mayor McCoy inviting Archie and herself up on stage for the Jubilee, wanting Archie to sing with the Pussycats and for the town to hear from their best and brightest, Betty Cooper. Although, Betty wouldn't do it without Jughead up there with her.

"I told her I wouldn't do it. Not unless you're up there with us, Jug," Betty told Jughead as she sat down, shifting in her seat as Jughead turned to her, "I appreciate the righteous indignation Betty, I do, but Jubilees aren't my thing," Jughead said. Archie leaned forward, changing the topic, "Jug, how's your dad? Did you get in to see him?" Archie asked before eating.

"Here's the latest," Jughead began, "Mayor McCoy wants my dad to name names in exchange for a lesser sentence," Jughead said causing Betty to furrow her eyebrows, "What? Whose names?" she asked confused. "The Serpents. Sheriff Keller thinks they're dealing the drugs Clifford Blossom brought into town, but it's mainly because of your dad, Nora," Jughead said looking at Nora who rolled her eyes and nodded remembering when she found out about that situation that landed him in jail.

Kevin jumped in, "My dad says more and more drugs are hitting the streets," Kevin said causing Jughead to turn to him, slightly irritated, "Kevin, relax, this isn't The Wire," Jughead said, "My dad says they're not the ones dealing," Jughead told them.

"Meanwhile, Mayor McCoy hasn't even said the words Clifford or Blossom in public. It's all about how the Serpents are the problem. The villains. This is outrageous. I'm writing an article about this and not just for the Blue and Gold, but for the Register. This is a town story," Betty said angrily.

Jughead sat up and sighed before nodding. "Okay, as long as this article doesn't include my dad," Jughead said before Betty cut in, "No, it is gonna be about your dad, Jug. It doesn't matter how many Jubilees Mayor McCoy throws. This town has changed. That needs to be acknowledged. Why are people so afraid of the truth."

"Well, have fun with that..." Nora said after quickly finishing her food and standing up before walking away. Through that entire speech, Nora could feel Veronica's eyes on her and couldn't take it anymore so, eventually, she went away.

◆ ◆ ◆ ◆ ◆

That night, Nora sat down on her porch, reading her mother's copy of Little Women. Her mom was sitting on the couch watching something on television and Nora just didn't want to be inside anymore, so decided to step outside. Nora wasn't paying attention to her surroundings when Veronica Lodge came walking up to her porch and quietly sat down next to her.

Nora didn't look up, although she knew she was there. Nora simply turned the page of her book and kept on reading as Veronica let out a small sigh before glancing up at her. "I know you don't forgive me, but can you please not act as if I'm a stranger to you, Nora," Veronica begged, "It hurts too much," Veronica's voice cracked slightly as she said it. Nora sighed as she said that and finally looked up. "You don't think what you did to me hurt?" Nora said calmly.