Chapter one

Riding in a buggy was one thing, but having to ride all the way to Avonlea next to my older brother was another thing. Ever since we left from Chicago, it has been a none stop battle between my brother, Nathaniel, and I. Of course thoughtm my father favored my brother, so anytime he would start something I would be the one to be yelled at. My mother on the other hand knew the truth on who was the troublemaker of the two of us, but never stood up to me thanks to my father.

"Nathaniel! Knock it off! Your going to get me in trouble!" I whispered to him hitting him in the shoulder.

"Hey! I'm not the one taking up the whole two seats." He stated trying to push me over with his side.

I tried to stick my ground, but compared to his body size and mine there was no point of even trying.

He eventually pushed me hard enough so that my cheek slammed into the window.

"Why you little-" I was cut off by my father.

"Evelyn! A young lady does not yell. Please be a proper one and keep your mouth shut." Father yelled scolding at me from the first row of the cart. I looked to mother, which was still facing forward, trying to ignore the whole incident.

My face grew red with anger. She never stood up for me! Even if I was dying she would never!

I huffed and crossed my arms, turning towards the window.

It was the middle of November, and ten times more colder here then back in Chicago. It was already snowing here, and the ground was covered in frost and no sign of living outside.

Father nor mother really talked about what there was in Avonlea for us to move here. The only thing I knew of, was that Mothers Mother, Jorgina, lived their. I never met Jorgina to even consider her as a grandmother. The only time she really came to see me was when I was two, but I rarely remember anything about her.

Mother says she wasn't fond of Father of how he treated women. She said Jorgina was a feminist and could not stand for such bad behavior that father did towards the other sex.

Father did have a bad reputation of treating women with little respect when it came to that type of business, but other then that he wasn't that bad.

I turned back to face my brother.

"Nathaniel,"

"What?" He asked a little rude then necessary.

I gave him a look for his rude remark and his eyes softened.

"Sorry sis, just a little upset that we had to leave Chicago for a dump like Avonlea."

"It's okay....I'm not to found of it either. But what do you know about Avonlea anyways?" I ask scrunching my nose.

"Alex told me about it, I don't know if he was telling the truth though. Alex likes to make up stories to gain peoples attention." Nathaniel says shrugging his shoulders.

I nodded, remembering his friend back in Chicago. Alex really never said any facts that were true, only ones that were made up in his head.

"I see... do you think they will like me or us I mean?" Inferring to the kids in Avonlea.

Nathaniel smiled slightly.

"They are going to love us."

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

When we finally arrived in Avonlea, I noticed a small, skinny girl with her red hair in two braids on both sides, sitting in a white oak tree. She looked to be wearing an old dress, which seemed to be way to short for her age.

The cab pulled to the side of the road and let us out. Once my family all got out we grabbed our bags and headed towards the railroad station depot. My brother seemed to notice the red headed girl too and made a laugh.

"Do you see that girl Evelyn? She is acting worse then a lady then you." Nathaniel said making me frown at his comment.

My father must of noticed too, because he made a disproved noise and shaked his head.

"Young lady, that is not very lady like! Get down before you get yourself hurt." Mother said disapproval laced in her voice.

At least the girl got some sympathy from her then I ever would. I thought snorting.

"Oh, sorry ma'am! I was just enjoying this incredible view of this marvelous looking white oak tree!" Said the girl hopping of the branch like it was no big deal.

"You see I come from the orphanage up by-" she was cut off by my father.

"Yes I can see by that." He says eyeing her outfit.

The girl didn't seemed offended by fathers comment and continued talking.

"Yes well back at the orphanage you didn't get much of a outfit choice." She says smiling brightly.

Her eyes feel on me, then my dress.

"Oh! How I love your exquisite dress! Such a fine color of blue....and puffed sleeves too!" She stated clasping her hands together."How I would adore to have a Puffed sleeved dress!"

I blushed at all of her complements.

"Thank you....? I stated, but didn't know who her name was.

"Anne Shirley! But don't forget to end it in a "e"." Anne says reaching out to shake my hand.

I went to reach for it until my father stood between us.

"If you excuse my family and I. We have to get going."

Anne's smile fades ever so slightly and nodded sadly.

"Of-of course sir." Anne says taking one last look at me and leaving back towards the tree.

"Father that was quite rude-" I was also cut off by him.

"Evelyn you will not talk to that girl. She is too much of a bad example for you."

"But father you hardly know her if only you can-"

"No Evelyn!" My father turns towards my brother and mother. "Now shall we get going to your mothers house Mary? It is getting cold out here!"

"Of course Richard! Come inside to the depot I'm sure there is a telephone in there we can call her from." Mother said taking my fathers arm and rushing them both inside.

My brother crossed his arms and whistled towards Anne.

"She is something... I wonder if she's ever-" I ignored what he was going to say next and rushed towards my parents, into the depot.
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

So we have meet Anne (with an E lol) finally. Hope you guys liked my story! Don't worry you will start to see some of the original characters popping up sooner or later ;) Also fan book cover would be nice! I not much put an artist and I can get all the help I can get :) Thank you!