Chapter 21

After a weekend spent at Diana's aunts house, we sadly had to leave. We all said our goodbyes, and as always Anne put her words into longing some detail so ourshort sourful goodbye took longer than expected.

"I will oh-so-graciously miss thee Aunt of Diana and Minnie-May Barry. And-"

"Anne, dear, I'm sure Aunt Jocefen knows what you are saying so please we need to be off before it gets dark." Mrs.Barry semi-yells at Anne, not bothering to wait for her any longer once she climbed into the buggy.

"Go on dear," Jocefen states, patting Anne's shoulder. "I will see you all soon again, I hope."

"You will." Diana, Anne, and I said in unison giggling at the unplanned moment.

With the wave of Jocefen's hand we were in the buggy, pulling our way back to Avonlea.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

After the Barry's dropped both Anne and I off at our homes, Grandma rushed to the front porch to meet me.

"How was it? Was it as grand as Diana mentioned it?" She asked me, taking my bag from my hands. What she meant by 'it' was Jocefens house.

"Ha, it was even more grand than she described it. She even had helpers in the house." I say heading inside with Grandma, sitting on the chair in the hallway to begin untying my shoes.

"Oh wait dear! I forgot a friend of yours came by just an hour before you arrived and asked if you would help them out with something? I told him that you would probably be back in a hour or two so I said that-"

"Wait he?! Grandma who do you mean be he?" I ask urgently, standing from the chair.

"Why Gilbert Blythe of course." I hear my brother say mockingly down the hallway, leaning against the doorway.

I huff at him.

"Yes it was Nate...Anyways you should start heading over there now but please don't be out too late. If it gets dark have him take you home." Grandma says smiling at me before leaving me alone in the hall way with Nate at the end of it.

"So..you and Blythe huh?"

I looked at my brother bewildered.

"What are you talking about." I say, heading over to the door.

He sighs.

"You know what I mean sis."

"Nope, not a clue." I say trying to get the subject off.

"Whatever, just be carful sis."

Be carful? I asked to myself walking out the door.
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Once I finally made it to Gilbert's house I was going to knock on the front door, until I heard somebody chopping wood out in the back.

"Hello...?" I ask walking slowly towards the noise.

"Over here!" I hear Gilbert yell from across the yard, next to a pile of chopped wood holding an axe on his shoulder.

"Hey.." I say awkwardly not knowing what to say.

"Hey." He says chuckling at my blunt comment.

"So..what are you doing?" I ask, almost hitting myself on the head at the stupid question.

Idiot! 'What are you doing?' Really Evelyn?!

He looked from me to the wood and back.

"Sorry that was a dumb question." I say, blowing out a breath of air.