Chapter 10

It was an awkward walk while with Gilbert.

We didn't talk much to each other. Which was strange because Gilbert isn't really a social awkward type of person.

To break the silence I started to hum a lullaby my mother use to sing to me when I was younger.

Gilbert seemed to notice my attempt of breaking the silence and sighed.

"Evelyn, are you...are you okay? I'm worried about you." He asked his eyebrows scrunching in concern.

"I'm fine Gilbert," I sigh out, noticing his dumbfounded look. "Really!"

He still didn't look like he believed me and shooked his head.

"What?"

Gilbert sighed in defeat.

"You haven't been out of your house since we found you in the barn." He said, putting his hands in his pockets, his gaze looking out in front of him.

I stoped walking, causing him to stop too once he noticed.

"How would you know? How would you know how I'm feeling right now Gilbert? Anne has visited me! Diana has visited me. Hell, even their friend Ruby visited me to see how I was doing. And I don't even know her!"

"What did you want me to do Evelyn?! Don't get me wrong, I wanted to see you. I did. But once we found you in the barn with Diana, you couldn't even look at me or your brother. You even flinched at the slightest touch from Nathaniel. I don't think you would want me to see you after what he did to you!"

Gilbert was full out en-raged at me, if we weren't so faraway from the town people might think we were crazy.

Tears started to form over my eyes, tempting to fall and flow all over my cheeks.

"What I wanted, Gilbert ,was for you to stop Billy." I say my voice lowered and less angry. "That day, after Billy had..had..." I couldn't bring myself to say the rest.

Tears rolling down my cheek, I tried to wipe them up but unsuccessfully managed to do the task since more kept streaming down.

I laughed.

"I probably look ridiculous right now. Pathetic. Weak." I shake my head. "Everyday, I think of what Billy did to me. What I could have done to stop him, but I was so weak. I couldn't even stand up for myself, even in that situation."

Gilbert eyes saddened and he came closer to me, taking his hand and caressing the side of my head, wiping tears off my face.

"Evelyn, your not weak. Or pathetic. Your are super strong, might I say. And I've never met a girl like you before. No girl I've ever met acted the way you do....And that's not a bad thing!" He seemed to notice my slight scowl before he added the quick response.

I smiled while he still had his hand on the side of my face.

"Really?" I ask dumbfounded by his choice of words.

"Yes really! You are one quirky girl, Evelyn, and I like that characteristic about you."

I blush, my gaze falling to the ground to avoid his stare.

"Evelyn?" He asked taking his other hand and placing it in the other side of my face.

I look up, surprised to see the closeness of our bodies.

"Y-yes?"

He brought his face closer to mine.

"Can I...can I kiss you?" His lips close enough to mine that I could feel the warmth from his.

I nodded my head, not bothering to answer because my lips were already in his.
————————————

Gilbert must have learned how to kiss when he was younger, because he was way more experienced than I was.

Our lips started out soft and delicate, but it then turned into a battle between us. Trying to see which one had the most control over this situation.

Finally we stopped breathlessly, looking into each other's eyes.

"I have always wanted to do that." Gilbert whispered, smiling down at my small figure.

I giggled.

"Me too." I admitted, smiling up at Gilbert.

His brown hair falling over his eyes, I take my hand and gently run my hands through it.

"Can I admit something to you?" I ask while he nodded his head. "This was my first kiss...like ever." I nod my head down in embarrassment.

Gilbert took my chin with his large hand, and brought it up to face him.

"It was?"

I nodded. Yes.

I bit my lip nervously at his reaction. He glanced at my lips but quickly turned his gaze back to me.

"I thought you were amazing." He said looking back down at my lips and pulling me closer to him.

I giggle again.

"Gilbert!"

"What? Can't I just be with my girl for a few more seconds?" He laughs coming closer to my face again.

I smile until he crashes his lips to mine again.

I smile in between kisses, thinking of what he just said.

My girl.