Chapter 25

Traveling back to Avonlee felt like an dreaded eternity. I never imagined myself coming back after the several years of 'accidentally' missing the boat back to the town. Yes you heard me I purposely decided no to come back, but all for good reasons.

I especially loathed to see Gilbert again. We had our times together...but we were children still back then. But even though I am still embarrassed at myself for doing anything with Gilbert Blythe.

I am almost 21 which means that Nate has to be 24 at least. I missed him and grandma so so much. I also wanted to see them, but I could never bring myself in coming back to all the memories the town had. Memories that I never wanted to think of again either.

Loading off the train, a man came to bring me my belongings and take me to a carriage to bring me back to Avonlee.

"Beautiful day out for December don't ya' think miss?" The man asked taking my bags from me to put in the carriage.

I smile politely and nod.

"Indeed it is sir," I say walking to the carriage and hoping in.

"Have a nice time in Avonlee miss!" The man closes the door behind me and waves as the carriage takes off.

"I hope so..."

•••••••••••••

"Welcome home Evelyn! We missed you dearly!" Grandma says, hobbling her way down from the porch to meet me.

The years haven't been too great on her, and it made me hate myself in that moment that I never visited her through the year at the academy.

"Hi grandma," I say, hopping out of the carriage and bending down to give her a hug. 

"You've grown up!" She says patting my face with her cold hand.

I smile.

"Where's Nate?"

She scowls at me mentioning my brother and sighs at me.

"Oh...your brother is out at the Barry's house fixing a fence. I told him when you would be here but he wouldn't listen-"

"Wouldn't listen?! Ha you must be dreaming grams!" A deep voice says behind me and grandma crosses her arms in announce.

"Nate? Is that you?!" I ask the now tall and broad looking man.

"Guilty!" He says chuckling and giving me a hug. "How's it been little sis? Academy treating you well?"

I nod my head and realized how much Nate has change since the last time I seen him. Both Nate and Grandma looked different both good and bad.

"Nate why don't you help your sister bring her bags in the house and I'll get the food prepared, hm?"

He nods his head towards grandma and picks up my belongings. Once grandma was in the house, we both decided to take our time so she wasn't rushed.

"How has she been?" I whispered to Nate, gesturing towards the house where grandma was in.

He sighs and shakes his head.

"You being gone hasn't been good to her for the past few years...but she's managing."

I nod my head.