Chapter 13

"Gilbert what are you doing here?" I asked, trying to keep my voice down so Grandma or Nate wouldn't hear me.

Gilbert smiled up at me and shrugged his shoulders.

"I heard that your Grandma is back in town.."

"Yeah she is.." I say. Not getting why this has do to with him.

"Anyways..I was wondering if maybe you would like to come down to the lake with me to ice skate. Diana would be there, so would Anne."

"I would love to.. but I'm not sure my Grandma would want me to go. I'm already on her bad side.." I say shaking me head down at gilbert.

"It would only be for an hour or two! All the other kids from town would be there! It would be fun." Gilbert promised hoping to get a yes out of me.

I sighed.

"Okay fine! Just give me a minute to get ready." I say.

Gilbert smiled brightly and nodded up at me.

"Your not going to regret this Eve!"

I smile and close the window to get ready.

Eve.

He never called me that before.

Shaking my head, I grab my candle holder from the night stand so I could see what I was going to wear.

Setting the lite candle down on the floor, I went threw my drawers to see if I could find the right dress.

After a few seconds on deciding, I chose a long sleeved wool dress with lace on the sides and neckline. It wasn't the prettiest dress I have worn, but it was only to go ice skating in and it was cold.

Quickly getting dressed, I pulled on my shoes and headed downstairs with my candle to find a pair of ice skates.

Luckily I found a pair in the broom closet, surprisingly, and quietly but quickly head out the back door. Meeting Gilbert outside in the process.

—————————

"So is this like a traditional event?" I ask, walking with Gilbert on the side of the road heading towards the lake.

"Yeah, I guess you could say that. It just depends on if the lake freezes or not. If it doesn't we usually do something in the barn...."

He glances at me.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to-"

"It's fine Gilbert!" I say, reassuring him that it was in the past.

Even though it was dark out and the only light was my candle and his, I could still see Gilbert smile.

The silence was driving me crazy so I started to hum a song.

"You have a nice voice." Gilbert says, rubbing his hands together to stay warm.

"Thanks," I say crossing my arms from the cold to keep me warm.

"You know, the school has a choir, you should try out."

I laugh shaking my head.

"Your funny Gilbert.." I say, looking down in embarrassment. Thank god it was dark out or he would see how red I was.

"I'm serious!" Gilbert says, stoping me with his arm. He again, rubbed his hands together to keep them warm.

I reach into my coat and handed him some gloves.

"Here." I say reaching towards him so he would take the gloves. Which he took.

"Thanks," He said putting the gloves over his hands, smiling at my kindness.