Chapter 15

I jolt out of bed, my heart pumping from the dream I had. Confused on why my pulse was pumping so fast just because of a dream, I shaked my head.

It's was just a dream Eve..nothing was real.

I get up from my bed and grab a comb from my shelf to comb out the tangles in my hair. I then quickly slipped off my pajamas and into a white long sleeve blouse and some brown pants.

Pants on women weren't the usual go-to outfit of the day, but I would much prefer the pants rather then a dress that wouldn't allow me to move.

I walk to my body length mirror to check over my appearance. Everything seemed fine so I continued to journey downstairs.

Walking into the kitchen, I expected Nate and grandma to be in but I was wrong. Only a note and a pencil sat on the kitchen table.

I walked over to the note addressed to me stating,

Evelyn, me and your brother went to the Barry's house to check up on Diana's little sister Minney May. There is bread in the cabinet if you are hungry and jelly in the fridge.
   Yours, Grandma.

Sighing, I crumpled the note into the trash and started to make myself some breakfast.

——————

After eating, I figured Grandma wouldn't be too mad if I went over to the school. I needed to see what work I missed from my absence, and didn't want to be as far behind as I was.

I wouldn't say I was the absolute smartest in the class, but I was one of the top 5. I do not think I know anyone besides Gilbert and Anne, when it comes to who's the smartest in the class.

Both compete against each other a lot from what I heard from Diana during school.

Walking down the street the only thing I dreaded more to pass was the old red barn on the corner, just before arriving at the school.

I shutter, a chill running down my spine.

Probably just the wind. I thought trying to ease my mind.

But my mind and I both knew it wasn't the wind. Something, which I did not see, looked through the crack of the barn.

Watching me.

——————————-

Opening the school buildings door, it was empty with students, but not Mr.Andrews.

He didn't seem to notice I walked through the door I noticed since he was still looking down at the papers on his desk.

"Mr.Andrews?" I ask coming up to his desk so he could see me better.

He looked up, and rolled his eyes at me.

"I see you managed to return," He stated standing up from his chair and turning towards the chalk board to I assume is what the students will be doing next week.

I bit my lip in embarrassment.

"Um...yes I guess you could say that. I'm here to pick up my missed work from the past weeks." I say.

Mr.Andrews snorted.

"It seems that you are a little too late on that one. Mr.Blyth has seem to take it upon himself to deliver the homework to you. Now will you please go bother someone else Ms.Ryan, I am trying to concentrate." He said not bothering to turn his attention away from the chalk board.

My cheeks flushed from his rude comment, but I quickly walked out of the school without another word.

—————-

Seeming that the only way to get my homework, I headed to Gilbert's house to retrieve my school work.

Knocking on the farm house door, I waited for someone to answer it. It took a few moments until Gilbert rushed to the door, his face flushed.

"Oh, hi Evelyn." Gilbert says dusting off something off his pants. Confused I smiled back at him.

"Everything okay..?" I asked him.

He shooked his head.

"No I am fine."

I nodded my head.

"So...would you like to come in?" He asked opening the door a little wider so I could see the inside.

"I'd love to..but I'm here to pick up my homework. Mr.Andrews said you took it?"

Disappointment flooded his face.

"Yeah I did actually. But I'm sure you won't understand hardly any of it so you might want so help by me." He stated smirking that he probably will get me to come inside his house.

I sigh.

"Gilbert are you sure I would want help by you?" I say trying to keep a straight face the bast I could. His reaction was priceless.

"I..I." Flustered he scratched the back of his head.

I laughed.

"I'm kidding Gilbert!" I state, heading into his house.

Gilbert laughed too.
———————-

Sorry for such a short chapter and on how long it was for me to publish! Summer has gotten ahead of me and I totally forgot about this book! Please forgive me! —Emma ♥️