Chapter 11

Coming home, Gilbert said his goodbyes and left me in the steps to the porch. Once I was in the house Nathaniel was sitting at the dining room table with his arms crossed. He didn't seem happy to see me, so the smile and happy mood I had went away pretty quickly.

"Where have you been?" He asked crossing his arms over his chest.

"Um, I was in town. Didn't you see my note?" I asked taking off my coat and putting it on the hanger by the door.

"No." He says firmly getting up from his seat.

I roll my eyes at him before shutting the back door with my foot.

I went to the counter to see the note missing where I put it, but eventually saw it on the floor. I picked it up showing it to Nate.

"Must have fell when I left." I say crumpling the paper and throwing it in the trash. I then noticed some red on his shirt and a little bit on his ear.

"Nate what happened to you? You have paint all over you." I say walking up to him, reaching for his face to get a better look.

But he ignored my comment and hand and got up from his spot. He still didn't seem to believe me so he muttered some words to himself and went into his room.

I nodded my shoulders. Whatever.

I sigh and ignored his childish behavior.

What crawled up his butt today? I thought shaking my head.

I began to take off my winter boots until I heard a knock at the front door.

Thinking it was Grandmother I rushed to the door. But instead I was greeted with Anne, Ruby, and  Diana.

"Oh," I said disappointed that it wasn't Grandmother.

They all had a look of confusion.

"Oh no! I'm not disappointed that you guys are here I just thought you were someone else.." I say catching myself before they thought I didn't want them here.

Anne was the first to have her face brighten up.

"Oh! It's really okay Evelyn. Actually, we were wondering if you would like to hang out with us. Given this is such a GLORIOUS afternoon." Anne stated emphasizing some of her choiced words.

They all nodded in agreement towards Anne.

"Sure, why not." I say "Please come on in." I open the door to let them squeeze in.

"Can we go up to your room?" Diana asks. "We could play dress up or..." She was already heading up the stairs.

I laugh.

"Sure!" I called up to her hoping that she might hear me.

Anne, Ruby, and I were about to head upstairs until we heard my brother coming out of his room.

"What are she doing here?" Nate asked. Focusing his attention on Anne.

I turned towards Anne who was already half way up the stairs, her face red. And I'm not sure if it was from embarrassment or anger. I never really could tell with her.

"Umm, I think I'm going to go up to your room Evelyn and check up on Diana." Ruby says running up the stairs, passing both me and Anne.

"What are you talking about Nate-" I began but was rudely cut off by him.

"It's none of your concern Evelyn. Now either she goes or I'm out of here!" He stated anger flooding his features entirely.

"Anne is my friend Nate and if you have a problem with her you can leave!" I yell turning my attention back towards Anne.