Chapter 20

Lilly's POV

I was preparing to end my work week at the office. In two hours I was going to be on a plane headed to Detroit to spend the Thanksgiving holiday with Marshall and his family. I was a nervous wreck, to say the least. I actually felt like I would puke after getting off the phone with Alania a few weeks ago, I was very nervous to say the wrong thing to Marshall's daughter and unintentionally offend her. The past few weeks though I have occasionally spoken with Lanie over the phone when Marshall and I were talking, she was a very sweet and down to earth young lady. She as well as Marshall have assured me that the rest of the family will accept me just as Lanie has.

"Goodbye Mr. Bodney, I hope you have a wonderful holiday" I smile as bid farewell to my boss.

"You as well Lilly, enjoy your time off" he nodded to me.

I walk toward the elevator and of course, I run into Eric. "Plans for the holiday Lilly?" he asked.

"Yes I will be out of town" I smiled.

"Visiting family I assume"

"Yes," I lie before stepping off the elevator to make my way home.

"Wait" he yells at me. "So can we grab a drink before you leave?"

"I am leaving now Eric, Happy Thanksgiving!"

After gathering up my things for the trip I set them beside the door. My phone buzzes notifying me that I have a text.

From Marshall: Ready Lilly Pad? The car should be there in 20

To Marshall: You really didn't need to send a car Marsh!

From Marshall: Woman just sits back and let me spoil ya. I can't believe I will be holding your in my arms again in a few hours.

To Marshall: Yes! I never thought I would be so nervous and excited at the same time!

From Marshall: Nothing to be nervous about baby. Let me know when you make it to the plane OK

To Marshall: I will 😊

I put my phone away with a goofy smile on my face. I tried to talk Marshall into letting me pay my own way to Detroit but he had insisted on sending a plane to me. I gave myself one more look in the mirror before I was ready to leave. As I walked back into the living room my phone rang. Without looking, I answered assuming it was Marshall.

"Hello babe" I answered.

"Babe? Do you have a new male friend Lilly?" It was my mother. I rolled my eyes.

"No mom why would you think that?"

"You answered babe"

"It was a joke" I replied.

"Lilly I am your mother I have a right to know what is going on in your life"

"And you do, I just told you it was a joke" I sighed.

"When should we expect you tomorrow?" Oh crap, I didn't inform them I was not coming for Thanksgiving.

"Ummm well, I decided not to come this year" I stated.

"And why? Where you going to tell us or were we just going to sit here all day waiting for the princess's arrival?" my mother spat.

"I was just about to call actually" I lied.

"Lilly, how are we going to have a meal if you are not here? We can't afford that"

"I will wire money to you mother. Just give me about an hour and you will have it" I sigh. Of course, it was about money.