I Don't Accept

What's happening? I don't think I know anymore. Of course, I never really did actually know. I guess that I got the "gist" of it. I was stalked, my aunt was murdered, then I got kidnapped by the killers, and now they're probably some sort of monster/werewolf.

Which, you know, is wonderful.

Oh God, am I going crazy? There's no way that someone can change into a fucking animal like that. Right?

Of course, I reasoned with myself, it's all in my head... That's all it is. I laughed to myself, it had to have been my imagination. I don't think I can handle it being anything else.

I rubbed my face and brought my knees close to my chest. Before I knew it, I was praying. It was odd, I didn't even know who I was praying to. The thought of God or some "higher-being" watching after us never crossed my mind. But, at that moment I felt a little less lonely, less hopeless.

I just wanted all this to end.

I wanted my aunt back, as terrifying and abusive as she was. I wanted my parents back. I wondered what would've happened if they never got into that car? If the truck driver who hit them wasn't drinking?

I was violently ripped out of the moment when there was a knock at the door. It was followed by Jerome flatly telling me to join him downstairs. I sighed and decided to ignore him, closing my eyes to help tune him out.

However, he persisted, "Alex, come on."

I buried my face into my knees, wanting and waiting for him to leave.

"I know that you're scared and confused, a lot has happened that you weren't ready for," Jerome continued, sympathy hidden in his voice. "I can't imagine what you're going through, but we need to talk about what happened."

"I want to leave," I mumbled to myself, not expecting him to hear me.

It seemed as if he did, "Alex, please. Please..." Jerome's voice carried out, he sounded as if he was in pain.

"I don't you what you're talking about," I said louder than before. "There's nothing to talk about." There was an edge to my tone.

"Alex, don't do this. We're sorry if we scared you or hurt you in any way--"

"Just fuck off!" I screamed at him, "I don't want anything to do with you two psychotic monsters!"

There was a second of silence, then the door was smashed open. I cried out in surprise and scrambled to the other side of the bed, my back hitting the wall. "What the hell!?" I yelled.

There was another fucking wolf. I could tell it wasn't the same one since; one, the coat was a muddy brown; and two, its eyes were electric blue instead of brown. It jumped onto the bed. I made a move to run for the door but it flattened its ears and growled lowly at me.

He stalked closer to me and when the wolf was so close that his nose almost touched mine... He laid on me.

Here I am, hyperventilating while straining myself against the wall, and this motherfucker lays on me!

How anticlimactic.

***

I think he's sleeping. I wonder if I am? If this is all a dream? I certainly hope so, maybe I'll wake up at home. I would get ready for school like any other day, catch the bus, go to classes, and return home.

I heard that dreams can feel like a lifetime, but in reality, only a few hours have gone by.

I sighed and rested my head against the wall. I heard the wolf huff before moving off me. He sat in front of me for a minute or two, then his body started to bend and snap. I could see his bones break and pop out of place. There wasn't any blood, nothing broke the skin. The bones rearrange themselves and the anticipation and fear that one would tear out was enough to keep me frozen in terror.

Then the wolf's fur started to slowly retract back into their skin, soon being replace with tan skin. The legs seemed to be in place, but everything above the waist was a mush of flesh and swollen joints. I wondered if they were even alive and how this was happening.

The odd thing though, it was almost completely silent. The cracks and popping were quiet, and if I wasn't so close I wouldn't be able to hear a thing.

What felt like hours but in actuality less than a minute, a fully-human (and fully-naked) Jerome was sitting in front of me.