Sixteen

Taehyung is missing Jeongguk, these last months were great and now he feels a little bit lonely, even though Jimin and Seokjin are there for him. It's just not the same.

"Tae, could it be that you are crushing on him again?" Jin's munching on a muffin he brought over.

"Yes, I've thought about it too. You both are so different when together. Remember when Jin and I came over while you played overwatch?" Jimin giggles.

"Hmm no I don't, when was that?" The youngest rubs his chin, thinking hard.

Seokjin starts to laugh, he can't believe he still doesn't know. "See, you both were so distracted that even after we greeted you, you couldn't stop staring at each other."

"That never happened, why are you making things up?" It's getting on his nerves, he's sure that such a situation never occurred.

Jimin raises an eyebrow, pulls his phone out and holds it in front of his younger friend. "Convince yourself." Clicks on play and waits.

Taehyung watches the video, eyes growing bigger with the time as he sees himself giving Jeongguk heart eyes and the singer isn't any better. "Shit, I have a crush on him."

"Congratulate on the knowledge." It's the chuckle Jimin lets out that brings Taehyung back to reality.

"It doesn't matter anyway." Taehyung waves it off, stands up and walks to the kitchen.

His friends glance at each other confused, following him seconds later. Jimin hugs Taehyung from behind. "What makes you say that? Of course it matters."

A deep sigh leaves the youngest, he has thought of his serving time a lot and also of Jeongguk's. "I have to serve for 36 months while he only has 24. Jeongguk also started earlier so we won't see each other for over three years." He shrugs, puts a piece of sushi in his mouth. "I don't think we will still have feelings for each other afterwards, that's all."

Seokjin and Jimin totally forgot about this fact. Because Taehyung is in the health department he has to serve longer than a police officer.

Taehyung's time finally comes, he needs to go after saying goodbye to his Hyungs. Seokjin and Jimin had served right after leaving school but he wasn't mentally ready back then.

With a heavy heart he enters the place where everyone is meeting, getting fetched by their departure after listening to a few words. It's a bit depressing to know that it's the first day of three years, a fricking long time.

The first weeks went by slowly, Taehyung is recalling what he already had learned years prior and is also learning a lot of new interesting stuff. It's something he always liked to do so it's not unpleasant for him.

A year later, he and his colleagues are called to a location where a break-in has occurred with an injured person. "Mr. Kim, please take a look at her, don't worry I'll watch you." The director of operations tells him and he follows the order after a single nod of his head and a serious expression.

The police officers are done asking her husband and wants to interview the other victim now. "Miss Koo, my name is Jeon and I have a few questions about the incident."

Taehyung's eyes widen comically at the voice and the name. He leans back, sits on his heels and looks up, directly into the officers eyes. Well Jeongguk isn't a real officer but it seems like that he's allowed to ask questions.

They stare at each other for a moment but know they can't hug or such so they just act professionally and tilt their heads as a greeting. "Mr Kim" - "Mr Jeon".

The woman gasps, points her finger to them. "Oh my, aren't you the idol and you're his best friend?"

Jeongguk clears his throat. "Yes ma'am but we are here in a serious matter so please let's focus." Then he starts with the survey.

Taehyung observes him, thinks that he looks so hot in an uniform and the new haircut makes him look so mature. He'd lie if he'd say that Jeongguk it isn't sexy as fuck.

The calls from his director went right through him, it needs a gentle shake of his shoulder to gain Taehyung's attention. "Huh?" He looks up at the older man. "Oh! Yes, I'm coming." Taehyung stands up and throws Jeongguk a last glance before he has to leave.

It felt so good seeing him, being so good in what he does. His hope of meeting him again grows, it's not impossible anymore.

And Taehyung is right, after Jeongguk has changed the department because of homophobic slurs against him and an almost case of violence, they're close now. Their departments are working together in many cases so they see each other at least once a week.

Their colleagues always smile as soon as they notice their longing gazes and secret touches. Nobody says anything, accept it wordlessly.

The more they meet, the more tension is growing between them. They wanna hug, talk and so much more.

The mood changes when it's Jeongguk's last month. Everyone knows it, everyone can feel it. It's sad to say at least. Taehyung has to serve one more year, knows he won't meet his friend again within this time.

"Go and say goodbye." The director nudges him on their last case together, talks to him in a whisper.

"What?" Taehyung isn't sure if he had heard him correctly.

"Go to Jeon, I'm sure he's already waiting. His chief agreed too." The older doesn't have to say it twice, with a big smile Taehyung runs to the direction the other had nodded to and finds the singer behind the wall fidgeting nervously with his fingers.

"Guk!" Taehyung doesn't hesitate, hugs him tightly. It feels so incredible good and he can't believe it's real.

"Bab- Tae." Jeongguk immediately corrects himself. "You came."

Taehyung scoffs. "Of course I did and I love hearing you call me babe." He winks at the other.

"That's good because that's what I'll call you from now on babe."

They chuckle, looking deeply into each other's eyes while still having their arms around the one another.

"I'll miss you so much Gukkie. I'm not sure if I can survive it." Taehyung pouts, knows that it's ridiculous but he wants him to know how he feels.

"I'll miss you too Tae, my baby. Maybe it's good that you'll be back in a year." Jeongguk smiles but Taehyung is confused so he frowns.

"Aww, don't. I mean, I'm not an idol anymore so I need to look for an other income and you should be proud of me when you're back in my arms, that's the reason. Come on, now stop the frowning it makes you getting wrinkles." Jeongguk brushes over his forehead and between his eyes with his finger.

Taehyung laughs. "Are you telling me that you won't like me anymore if I have wrinkles?"

"What? No, oh my god, I'll always like you."

What should have been a joke from Taehyung turns into a small confession but neither of them questioned it or takes it back.

Unfortunately it's time to part but not before Taehyung places a gentle kiss on Jeongguk's cheek, taking him off guard. "Have fun back in normality. Please tell Jimin and Seokjin that I miss them so fucking much."

"I will, don't worry. I can't wait to see you again." Jeongguk leans in slowly, makes sure that Taehyung can turn his head if he doesn't want it but when it's not happening he closes the small distance left and presses his lips to the other's for a soft peck.

It's not for long, they know their superiors are waiting.

When they part, it's also slow, eyes closed until they're far enough away. "Bye." - "Bye." Their voices are low, almost inaudible, only for them to hear. It's difficult to let go completely, the last body parts connected are their index fingers.

'I'll miss you.' Taehyung says only with lip movements.

'I'll miss you more.' Jeongguk answers the same way before he has to turn around and leave.

After their second meeting they had started to write messages, Jeongguk had broken his phone almost in the beginning so they couldn't contact each other before. After exchanging numbers they had texted regularly and secretly, getting emotionally even closer, sometimes even flirted.