Chapter Ten:

A few weeks later...

Jax's POV:

"Jax! Jax, where's my da?! Where is he?! Someone tell me what happened?!" Alice yelled as she came running down the hall at me. She tried to scramble past me, I caught her around the waist. "Alice, Alice stop! Calm down, there's nothing you can do for him right now." I said calmly into her ear. "No! I need to see him! I need to know he's alright, boy!" she exclaimed, still thrashing in my arms. "Alice, calm down! You'll be the first one in when he's stabilized. But, if you don't calm down, they'll take you out of here, and what good does that do your dad?" I reasoned, still holding on to her waist. She finally stopped struggling and stepped back. I hadn't really taken in how upset she was, tears were rolling down her cheeks, rose red from being so distraught. I'd never seen her cry before, no one had. "Jax, I have to see him. Please, get someone to let me in." she begged. I shook my head reluctantly. "I've tried already, Alice. We can't do anything until he's stabilized, alright?" she nodded as she wiped the tears from her face. "Come here." I said, taking her into my arms. "I can't lose him, boy. He's all I have." she whispered as she sobbed into my shoulder. I leaned my head against hers, pulling her a little closer. "No, he's not. The club is your family too, and we're all here for you. But, we won't lose him." we stood there for a few minutes, I could feel her sink further into me. Every day she trusted me a little more.

She was the first to pull away, her make-up smeared under her eyes. "Do we know who's responsible for this?" "Yeah, it was Zobelle. Clay wants him dead, now. He wanted me to talk to you before anything went down. I'd rather find him before Clay does, I think this is all a trap. He's planning something, I just know it." I told her in a hushed tone. "You won't be able to stop the retaliation. But, we can still try and get to him first." "That's what I was thinking, I've got someone who can help." "Let me guess, Hale is that someone who can help? I know this isn't all you, boy." she pointed out, her arms crossed. "Yeah, I think they've got something on him, to be honest. Told me he'd help me find him." I confessed to her, she was one of the few people I could trust right now, considering my own best friend was getting closer and closer with my step father. "Well, if we want to get to him first, we need to get this ball rolling, aye?" her voice lowered as she took a step towards me. "Yeah, but Clay won't make his move until he talks to you. He assumes you want whoever did this to Chibs, to pay. He's not expecting you to think rationally, which he planned on using to his advantage." "Well, unfortunately for him, all I do is think rationally. Zobelle will pay for what he's done, trust me."

Alice's POV:

Hearing footsteps coming down the hall, we immediately discontinued our conversation. Tara turned the corner and quickly approached, her body stiffening when she saw us together. Ignoring her obvious discomfort with us being so close, I smiled. "How's my da, doc?" I could tell she was surprised by my kindness. "He's finally stabilized, but not awake yet. He suffered massive head trauma and blood loss. The pain medication we gave him will keep him out for a few days. I'll call you when he starts gaining conscientiousness." she relayed to me, being as professional and curt about it as possible. After our encounter a few weeks ago, she was really bothered by seeing Jax and I together.

"No need. I'm not leaving until he wakes up." she furrowed her brow. "You do realize it could be days before he wakes up, right?" "Aye, I get it. I'm not stupid, but I'm not leaving him alone." I watched her shift her weight from one foot to the other, she did this when she was frustrated. Over the loud speaker, Tara was paged to the OR. "I gotta go, I'll see you at home." she said to Jax before she kissed him. I saw the glance she gave me, the one that said "Fuck you, he's mine." She was so obvious about it. I raised an eyebrow, eying her as she left.

"Alice?" I snapped out of my gaze and met his stare. "What was that?" he questioned. "Nothing. Go home, boy. I'll call you when I know something. I can't leave him. Do what you gotta do with Hale, and keep me in the loop." I demanded before I kissed his cheek, and with that I left and went to wait in the ICU waiting room. As soon as I was sure Jax had left, I went for my phone. "Gemma, I need you down here, there's something we need to talk about."