Chapter Eighteen:

Jax's Pov:

As I backed up into my parking space, I could see my mom in the office. I sighed, and went in to talk to her. "Were you going to tell me?" She asked, as soon as I was in the doorway. "Of course I was going to tell you, ma. I just didn't want to say anything until things were certain." "Are things certain?" I looked down at my feet, and nodded. "The votes tonight." she returned my nod, then demanded, "Sit." we sat there for a moment, just looking at each other. She took a deep breath, and spoke. "The other day, when you asked me what was in that box, it wasn't just old t-shirts." "I know." she paused, "Why'd you burn it?" I shrugged, not really knowing what to say. "I didn't know what to do with it." I finally replied. "And now?" I let out a huff. "It was after Thomas died, darkest part of his life. Your dad was lost. You want it back?" "No. It's good you have it." I told her, as I toyed with the hat in my hands. "Well, if I know your father, there's more than one copy." "Yeah." I answered with a nod, smiling at how well she could read me. She smiled back. "I loved your dad, more than, more than I've loved any man. Great lay." I chuckled at her, half amused, half grossed out,. "Smart, big heart, and very complicated. Sound familiar?" I didn't reply, just kept  looking down at my hands. "His complications, killed him." instantly aware of what she'd just said, I looked up at my mother, confused. "What do you mean?" "I don't think your father's death was an accident, I think he hated his life, and he let the road take it. I don't want that same fate for you, Jackson. The things I do, I do to keep you safe. Less complicated." "No, mom." "Nomad, is a bad idea." I shook my head at her, put my hand over hers, then got up to leave. "Page 449." she called after me. I looked back at her and she nodded at me, silently telling me to read it. I returned the nod, and took my leave.

Alice's POV:

As I sat at home and waited for da, I found myself pacing back and forth in the living room. I saw him pull up in the SOA van and park. I stood myself in front of the fireplace, I fidgeted with my hands nervously, as I waited. He came in, his face distressed, worried, not angry like I had expected. He looked up at me, his eyes red. I quickly went over to him, taking his hands in my own. He instantly gripped them, his eyes meeting mine. "Da, what happened?" I watched a tear roll down my father's cheek, and began to panic. He suddenly wrapped his arms around me tightly, hugging me like he had the first time he saw me in 13 years. "I love you, Alice. Don't ever forget that." He told me after he had stepped back, his hands on my shoulders. "I love you, too, da." I replied, confused by his sudden burst of emotion.

He took my left hand, leading me towards the couch. "Sit, love." I obeyed, taking a seat on the big leather couch. He took a seat next to me, taking a hold of my right hand this time, grasping it tightly. "What is going on, da?" he swallowed hard, taking a deep breath after. "Today, on my way to meet Fi, I was stopped by Agent Stahl. She knows about my excommunication, how Jimmy took my wife, my other daughter, and gave me these scars. She wants him, she made that very clear." he took something out of his pocket, and tossed it on the coffee table. It was Agent Stahl's card. Astounded, I looked back over at my father's distraught face. "What did you do?" "I continued on my way to see Fi...Jimmy was there. He said he was in town for a distribution issue, not the Sons. He wants to meet with Clay, and he's expecting me to set it up." "What did you tell him?" he swallowed hard again, not looking me in the eye. "He brought up Karrianne, he said filthy things about her, things I'd kill any man for saying. Suggested I set the meeting up, then I left. What was I to say?"

I watched the only man I loved, crumble in front of me, and there was nothing I could do about it. "I met with Agent Stahl again, told her her drop the assault charges against the club, full protection for Fi and Karrianne, in exchange for Jimmy. She wanted "Good Faith" intel, so I gave her the IRA's gun warehouse." my heart dropped. "Da-" "I know, girl. I didn't know what else to do, I can't let anything more happen to them. Jimmy has taken everything from me, I can't let him get away with it no more." I bit my lip, taking in everything he'd just told me. I understood, I'd do anything to keep him safe. "Da, we'll figure this out. This will be between you and I, until we can figure something out. I promise, we'll protect them." I reassured him, as leaned in and hugged him. "I know, love." after a moment, I pulled away and checked my watch. "We've got to head back to the club, we have meeting at the table in 15." he nodded, standing up, holding his hand out to me. I gathered myself, placed my hand in his, and stood up. "We're together on this." he told me with a smile. I returned it, and replied, "Together."