2.

Night took forever to come.

Throughout the dull morning, Sebastian and the others passed the time by watching old French television shows and playing card games with Remy. He claimed to have found the deck in the corner store he and Olivier went to. Apparently, the owner had given it to him for free.

The deck holder was worn and riddled with tiny holes. The once-black cardboard had turned gray with age. Its only interesting feature was the golden jester logo on the front.

Sebastian wasn't really one for card games. He also wasn't for one for sitting around and doing nothing. He wanted—needed—to go out and do something. Anything. If he had to watch Remy beat Ajax in another game of spades, he was going to lose his mind.

So, when night finally did come, he jumped at the opportunity to head to the bar to find out the identity of the wine merchant. The seller was their best bet at getting to Thania. The other members of the Eldenarian Council—such as Chieftain Naidini of House Oseda and Fire Queen Kasumi of House Doragon—were much farther away. If they could warn House Aegeon, it would give allow them to warn the others as well.

They needed to get on that boat as soon as possible before his father changed his mind and killed them all.

Sebastian, Ajax, and Olivier were currently walking down the sidewalk to the tavern while Imogen and Remy stayed behind. The boy wasn't old enough to be permitted into bars, anyway, and Sebastian was still angry with Imogen after their earlier debate.

She acted like she knew him. Like he was some book for her to read and analyze.

But she knew nothing. That's what he kept telling himself. She was wrong.

The moon was gone from the sky above. The yellow light from the streetlamps was just enough to allow Sebastian and his companions to see where they were going. He knew this was a fairly small village, but would it have killed them to have better lights?

"So, how're we going to find this person?" Ajax asked. "We can't just walk in and ask for the magic wine guy."

Olivier cracked a smile while Sebastian rolled his eyes.

"We're not going to do that," the older man said. "We'll walk in, take a seat, and listen for a bit. If you pay enough attention, you can find out anything."

Sebastian hoped he was right. He had done enough sitting around for the day. It was time to set things in motion. He wanted to be in Thania by the end of the week at the latest. Ideally, he wanted to get there in the next few days, but that wasn't exactly realistic.

His father would be planning his next move soon—and that would be to acquire another Eldenarian artifact. Sebastian already knew which one he was going for; the gauntlet of the sea, the item belonging to House Aegeon. The house was home to the water elementalists, sailors, and healers of the world.

The gauntlet was a beautiful piece of metalwork. Engravings of tridents, waves, and sea creatures decorated the silver arm guard. Sebastian had seen it a few times in person, as he often accompanied his father to the Eldenarian Palace for the occasional council meeting.

Sirus wore the gauntlet everywhere he went. The artifact was said to control the power of the sea.

Sebastian had yet to see it in action.

"Looks like we're here," Ajax said. He grinned as he pushed open the wooden doors. "I hope they have good beer. I haven't had a pint since I left Hodvekt."

"The drinking age in America is twenty-one," Olivier pointed out.

"Just because I was born in Oregon doesn't mean I'm an American. My people and I don't even exist to them." The ginger snorted. "Besides, those are Ordinaire laws, not mine."