14.

Sebastian's leg bounced as he looked around Sirus' study. Ever since the guards took Imogen—and Remy, who volunteered to stay with her—away. He had no idea where the two of them were at the moment. He was trying his best to keep calm. While he knew nothing would happen to Remy, he couldn't say the same for Imogen. After all, she was an Ordinaire who knew about magic.

He'd be surprised if they even let her live.

While the girl often annoyed him, he still enjoyed her company. Plus, she had proven herself useful and loyal on multiple occasions. He couldn't let her die. Not like that.

After she had been carried off elsewhere, the rest of them were led into Sirus' study.

There was one upside, though. It wasn't cold inside the palace. He wasn't sure if magicians used heaters or a spell to keep the air warm, but he didn't care. The wind outside had been biting his skin through his semi-dry clothes.

He hoped he'd be able to find something else to wear for tomorrow. He hadn't changed outfits in about a week.

A sigh left his lips as he drummed his fingers against his moving leg. While he and Olivier sat in plush chairs that felt more like clouds than anything, Ajax stood in a corner with his barrel-thick arms folded over his chest. He had his green eyes trained on Sirus, who sat behind a desk covered in papers.

Sirus stroked his blond goatee as he peered at the three magicians opposite him. "I apologize for earlier, but you know the rules. Though, I must say, it's impressive how long she managed to survive with you lot." He interlocked his fingers. "Now, what is it you wish to tell me? And could this not have been sent in a more traditional way?"

Olivier cracked a smile. "Since we don't use phones and Thorian has access to all modes of communication, we figured this was the best way to deliver our message."

"Why would you need to bypass Thorian? He is the head of the Eldenarian Council."

Sebastian gawked at the man. He can't be serious.

Olivier turned to him before facing Sirus. "With all due respect, I didn't take you to be this naïve."

Sirus lifted his chin. "What are you talking about?"

"Sebastian, I think you should explain it to him," Olivier said.

He sighed, still perplexed on how Sirus wasn't aware of Thorian's true nature. After all, Achilles Washington and the other Brynjirs knew somewhat. He figured the other councilmembers would've too.

He told the leader of House Aegeon everything he knew about his father's quest to acquire all seven of the Eldenarian Artifacts, Achilles' death and the attack on Hodvekt, and Makaela's betrayal. Once he finished, he exhaled and slouched in his seat. His fatigue from the day's travels was beginning to make itself known. A dull ache resonated through his muscles and he found it hard to keep his eyes open.

Sirus continued to stroke his goatee as he mulled over Sebastian's story. "Pierre warned us about him years ago. Then he died. House Vaya and Madame Alizeh vanished off the face of the earth. I kept my house and my people out of it."

Sebastian sat up and leaned forward. His face fell after hearing the man's next words.

"Judging by how things are going, it seems like I made the right decision."

The air had been sucked out of the study. Sebastian couldn't believe what he just heard. Lord Sirus Lombardi was supposed to be a just and honorable magician. He was supposed to be powerful. Along with Pierre Moreau, the previous head of the magic council, he fought to strengthen relations with Solairs and other marginalized creatures. He fought to protect his people.