5.

"Do you have any fours?"

Sebastian studied the cards in his hand. Now staring at the boy across from him, he feigned anger. He spotted the hope filling Remy's eyes, as he only had one card left. If he had what the boy was asking for, the game would be over.

Of course, he didn't have any fours. He knew that. But Remy didn't, and he liked messing with the kid. While he was easily the smartest person in the room, he was quite gullible. It must've been a side-effect of him growing up in seclusion.

Sebastian peered at his hand again. He only had a king of spades, a ten of hearts, and a three of clubs left. Deciding he had let the charade go on long enough, he finally told Remy to, "Go fish."

Remy groaned in disappointment as he pulled another card from the deck on the small coffee table. Sebastian grinned and turned to Imogen, who was sitting next to him. An emotionless expression rested upon her tan face, a dull look clouding her dark eyes.

What's her deal?

He shook his head and brought his attention back to the game.

"Got any kings?"

She cursed under her breath and tossed Sebastian one of her cards. He grinned in response. Grabbing his card and the one she gave him, he tossed them both into the pile of pairings.

"Can we just end the game now?" Ajax whined as he ran a large hand over his bearded face.

"I'm with Carrot Top one," Remy quipped. "I'm getting bored of this."

"That's only because you're tired of losing." Sebastian rolled his eyes at the two boys.

"Aren't we all?" Imogen grumbled. She threw her deck down and walked over to a nearby couch in the cramped room.

The faint sound of a couple yelling at each other in the next room over bled through the paper-thin walls. He grimaced at the noise. He wished he had more money to pick a better place. But, considering they could barely afford the inn's low prices, they would have to deal with it for a little while longer.

"What else do you suppose we do? It's not like we've got a ton of options here."

Ajax shrugged his broad shoulders. "We could head back to that bar for something to drink."

"I like that idea," Remy added.

Sebastian chuckled. "Rem, I'm pretty sure you've never even tasted alcohol before."

The boy's cheeks flushed. "What? That's not true..."

Ajax laughed and ruffled Remy's curly mop of hair before rising from his seat. He faced Sebastian. "Gonna do some more scouting." He summoned his vayrir and left the room.

"Do you really think the Shades are still chasing us?" Remy asked. He held his palm over the pile of cards. He muttered a spell and closed his hand. Seconds later, the cards formed a neat stack in the center of the table. "I mean, he promised Makaela he wouldn't kill us."

"I know my father. He may have said he would leave us alone but he only said that so he could manipulate her. As soon as he realizes we haven't given up, he's going to come after us."

Remy fell silent. He grabbed his cards and slid them back into the worn packaging from where they came.

"Do you think she's alright?"

Sebastian blinked twice, his brain shorting out for a moment. "I..." He stopped himself. He wasn't sure how to answer. Growing up with Thorian as the sole parental figure in his life wasn't something, he would've wished on anyone. He was harsh, apathetic, and colder than ice. His jaw clenched at the childhood memories flooding back into his mind.