12.

Makaela hated traveling with portals. They always made her skin feel as if it was covered in thick, gooey slime.

She stepped out of the magical gateway and shielded her eyes from the burning sun. It was at that moment she realized just how dark Thorian's castle was.

Her eyes were still trying to adjust to the new light. Stumbling forward, she inhaled the sweet scent of bamboo and jasmine flowers. A smile sprouted on her lips as she took in the scenery before her.

Lush grass covered the ground and a dense forest of skinny bamboo trees, stout cherry blossoms, and looming pine trees. She looked up at the blue sky and exhaled, her body relaxing as the rays from the beaming sun caressed her dark skin.

She hadn't left Nordor since she made the decision to join the Order of the Black Lotus. She didn't really mind the underworld, as she spent most time inside Castle Braexus, but nothing could compare to fresh air and warmth of the real world.

"Makaela, let's go," a Shade in front of her said, gesturing with their chin towards the towering building ahead of them.

Her smile faded as she followed behind.

In the center of the glade sat a red, Japanese-styled castle. Stone walls surrounded the red keep. Black tiles decorated the roofs while crimson flags hung from the corners. The castle narrowed with each added floor. It almost looked like a pyramid.

As they approached the building, a massive shadow passed over them. They all directed their gazes to the sky, their vayrirs summoned and their shield charms raised. Even Makaela tensed at the sight. She whipped her head around, trying to find the source of the shadow.

A deafening roar ripped through the sky, shaking the trees and the ground she stood on. She squinted at the clouds. A winged, red streak cut through the air, disappearing and reappearing every now and then. It nosedived like a downed plane before bottoming out and colliding with the grass-covered floor.

Makaela and the Shades jumped in surprise, their eyes wide with fear and confusion.

A massive, reptilian beast stood before them. Its leathery, bat-like wings flapped in the wind, the noise thundering in their ears. The creature had scales the color of a firestorm. They gleamed in the light and stretched with each movement the beast took. It swished its spiked tail behind them and roared, revealing rows of sharp teeth in its elongated snout.

Makaela's eyes widened.

A dragon.

The hairs on her arms and neck stood at attention. Her inner-Nightling whispered in her ear, ordering her to kill the animal before it killed her. She nearly listened to it, but then the dragon began to shrink.

Its wings retracted and scales faded from its body. The long tail had also shrunk inside of the new body that was forming. Seconds later, a toned, shirtless man with beige skin and black hair tied into a ponytail stood where the dragon had just been.

He wore baggy, red pants and a gold medallion with a fire pendant hung from his neck.

Amora walked up to him, smiling. The two of them embraced before pulling away from each other. Makaela arched an eyebrow at the man. She studied his features. He had a crooked nose and a small mouth which seemed to be stuck in a perpetual grin. His lidded, brown eyes glinted with hidden light.

Makaela drew in a breath.

"You didn't tell me you were visiting,'' he said to Amora.

"This was kind of a spur of the moment thing,'' she replied. "Nice to see you, Asahi."