6.

Sebastian and the others awoke before the sun could finish rising.

Lingering wisps of the previous night hung in the sky, a gradient of stark blues, soothing purples, and warm marigolds. The sunrise was painted across the sky as if it was constructed by the seven gods themselves.

The town was still asleep. The shops wouldn't be open for another hour. Still, Sebastian could smell the fresh bread coming from a nearby bakery. Had they not been on a schedule, he would've stopped for a chocolate croissant—his favorite breakfast food. Alas, he had more important matters to attend to; the buttery pastry would have to wait.

After he and Olivier had woken up the others, they got dressed and headed to the port. It the southernmost area of the town and about a thirty-minute walk according to the information Remy got from the inn's owner.

Despite the circumstances, Sebastian was going to miss Saint-Cyr-sur-Mer. It was a quaint, little place full of nice scenery and decent people. He enjoyed the change of pace from the cutthroat environments he grew up in that it provided. He wished he could've stayed. He wished he could've abandoned all his responsibilities and played cards with Remy until he died.

But he couldn't. He had a job to do.

"Are we almost there?" Imogen whined for what seemed like the hundredth time.

"Almost," Sebastian replied. In truth, he had no idea if they were close or not. He did know that he was getting tired of her asking the same question over and over again.

They all were walking briskly alongside compact, pastel-colored buildings. The sun was beginning to rise into the sky behind them. If they were going to get on Luka's boat, they needed to hurry.

The cobblestone path they walked along gave way to a curved bend of land. Sebastian could see the cerulean water in the distant. Small waves lapped upon the stone barrier running along the edge of the small coast. Boats and dinghies of differing sizes were parked in the quaint port. A few fishermen walked around with rods on their shoulders and nets of the early morning catch.

"Okay," Remy said while looking around. "What now?"

"We find Luka's boat," Sebastian said.

Ajax scratched the top of his head. "How do we do that? There's a bunch of them out there."

He was right. There was no way they'd be able to guess which boat belonged to the Luka. And it wasn't like any of them had the symbol of House Aegeon or any other defining feature on them. That'd be against the rules of the council.

They would have to find Luka instead.

He sighed and slid a hand down his face. He was hoping they wouldn't have to interact with the man until they were on the open sea. The wine merchant had already declined to help them, and Sebastian was fairly certain he wouldn't change his mind.

I guess we'll just have to persuade him.

He looked around in search of the blond man. A few of the shops bordering the port were beginning to open. Ajax and Remy wandered off in search of the man while Imogen and Olivier stayed close to his side.

"What's this guy look like, anyway?" Imogen asked. She had a hand on her blade, which she kept in a ratty sheath she picked up from a flea market a few days back.

"I think you'd find him rather handsome," Olivier replied, which caused Sebastian to roll his eyes. "He's got blond hair and real...eccentricity about him. You couldn't miss him."

"Blonds aren't really my type." She cast Sebastian a coy look as she said it.

He coughed and looked away from her. Out the corner of his eye, he could see her grinning at him. Scowling, he continued to keep an eye out for Luka di Marina.