16.

Sirus had taken them all to the grand library inside the palace.

Growing up, most of his time was spent inside the library inside his own home. His father forced him and his sister to study spellbooks for hours upon end. He scowled whenever he thought about all those long, grueling study sessions. Though, his magical ability wouldn't be anywhere near the level is was without them.

He supposed he had his father to thank for that.

Sebastian looked around the room. Archways were built into the ceilings. In the center, a massive, glass circle replaced part of the roof. Shards of light broke through and danced along the marble floor. Tall, white bookshelves lined the walls and created aisles spanning the entire length of the room. Tables filled with books littered the floor. Blue tapestries with House Aegon's insignia—a decorative circle with the letter 'A' in front of a trident—hung from the shelves.

He trudged along the aquamarine carpet as he followed behind Sirus and the others.

Remy marveled at the barrel filled to the brim with old scrolls. "This place is amazing. It's even bigger than the one in the mansion I grew up in. There's probably a million books in here."

One of Sirus' daughters shook their head at him. "Who reads books anymore?"

He frowned and blew a strand of brown hair out his face. "You never know when something in a book can save your life."

Ahead of them, Sirus stopped walking. The bookshelves around them had formed a perfect circle. In the center of the floor, a blue rune circle had been carved into the white stone. Sebastian could feel the energy emitting from the magical symbol. It pricked his skin and made his hairs stand at attention.

Sirus stepped onto the rune and faced the group of magicians behind him. "You want to know why I try so hard to keep my people safe? This is why."

What?

"Father, what are you talking about?" Siren asked.

He answered by holding his gauntlet-covered arm over the symbol in the ground. Instead, he placed the palm of his hand which contained his rune tattoo and held it a few inches over the gem in his gauntlet. Low whispers in an ancient language left his mouth.

Sebastian recognized a few of the words. His father often uttered a similar incantation when trying to decipher the hidden messages within his own Eldenarian Artifact, the Obscurio.

The azure gemstone on Sirus' gauntlet cracked, light spilling from the pulsating jewel. On the ground, the blue rune circle lit up like a spotlight and bathed the library with bright rays. Glowing lines spiderwebbed from the mark on the floor and raced to the feet of those standing around it.

"What's going on?" Remy asked while taking a cautious step backward.

Siren had yelped and pressed herself into Ajax. He didn't seem to mind.

"All seven of the Eldenarian Artifacts hold clues about the prophecy," Sirus answered. "Images of each of the eight lay within the magic of the gems. Only the master of the item can call upon them. For years, I've been studying the pictures, desperately trying to figure out what they mean."

Sebastian peered at the vibrant magic consuming the floor. The marble looked like the top of an ocean. Imaginary water ripples disturbed the white stone. Sirus closed his fist. An image burst to life in the boy's head. Judging by the reactions of those around him, everyone else had seen it too.

He blinked a few times, trying to focus his vision on the scene currently before him. He was standing on a dark beach, but he could tell he wasn't there. Not really. He was just a spectator. Ahead of him, he saw the familiar platinum braid and tanned skin of the youngest princess of House Thania. She stood on the water. Magic

Then it vanished.

Everyone exchanged wary looks. Except for Siren. She stood Sebastian turned to Siren, his mouth slightly agape.

"Out of all the images, this is the one that scared me the most," Sirus said. He chuckled, shaking his head. "Deep down, I always knew who the girl was. But I would never admit it. I couldn't. Because if I did, it would mean it was true."

Sebastian's turned to Siren. He suddenly felt cold.

The blonde-haired girl trembled a bit as she looked at her father. "Who is it?" Her voice shook as she spoke.

"You."

She sucked in a breath. Her blue eyes widened. "W-What? That can't be me. It can't be."

"It is," Sirus told her. "Believe me, I wish it wasn't, but it is."

His wife stepped forward. "Why didn't you tell us?"

"I thought if I kept our daughter sheltered from the prophecy, her role in it would never come. I thought I could protect her." He shot a dirty look at the group of visitors around him. "I was wrong. I was only delaying the inevitable."

Siren stepped forward, her features softening. "Father, you can't protect me forever. I'm nineteen now; an adult. I deserve the right to make my own decisions. If I am truly a part of the prophecy, I want to play my role. I want to help defeat Thorian."

Sirus' shoulders slumped. Hanging his head slightly, he laughed to himself. "Ever since you were a child, you wanted nothing to do with fighting. You were always into healing magic and medicine. You're a healer. Now you want to fight Shades and whatever else Thorian has under his sleeve."

"Father, please. This is my destiny."

"She's made her decision," Sebastian said. He nodded curtly at the girl. "She's willing to do what needs to be done. Are you?"

Sirus didn't respond. He pressed his hand on top of his gauntlet and the gem put itself back together. The light from the ground faded, taking the sea-floor illusion with it. His wife took his hand, a warm smile on her lips.

"Let her do this, Sirus."

He turned to Olivier. "Your brother once said to let fate run its course. I disagreed. Perhaps he was right."

"He was," the man replied. "And fate is calling your daughter. And you. If we're going to stop Thorian, we're going to need you."

"You flatter me, Olivier." Sirus smiled. He turned to the guard who had accompanied the group into the library. "Put together a team of our best water elementalists and battlemages. After we locate Thorian's position, we'll be going after him."

"Right away, my lord!" The guard hurried out of the room, his metal boots clanking against the marble.

Sirus rubbed his greying temples. "I hope I won't regret this."

"You won't," Sebastian promised. He was prepared to put that on his own life. "I promise you that."

The lord of House Aegeon nodded. As he opened his mouth to respond, the guard he'd sent out of the library moments before rushed back over to him. Their face was red and sweat had formed above their brow.

"M-My lord," they panted, hands-on their armored knees.

Sebastian narrowed his gaze at them. His skin went cold and felt a slight tug behind his navel. Something was wrong.

"What is it?"

"Our portal," they said breathlessly.

Sirus took a step forward, annoyance flashing across his face. "What about the portal?"

The guard took a deep breath before straightening up.

Sebastian's breath hitched. A flurry of panicked thoughts raced through his head like a rapid stunning spell.

No, no, no.

"Our portal has been disabled."