24.

Sebastian looked over his shoulder to see if Imogen was still behind him. She was, but she was breathing hard and sweat dripped down her face as if she'd just gotten out of the ocean. He didn't blame her. He could feel his own shirt clinging to his wet skin. They had sprinted over a mile from the edge of the city. The palace in the distance taunted them.

The attack had already begun. Sebastian could hear the explosions and fighting echoing in the distance. They needed to get to safety. Quickly.

As they continued to run with all their might, a daunting shadow passed over them. He slowed up to a jog before stopping completely. He stared up at the sky and his face fell. Imogen did the same. He could've sworn she almost fainted.

"Is that a fucking dragon?!"

Gulping, he nodded. "Looks like they called House Doragon for some help."

Three scaly, leathery-winged beasts ripped through the clouds. Their battle cries could be heard from miles away. They dipped into the city, passing over the area where House Aegeon's portal was located. Streams of fire poured from their fanged maws, burning everything in sight.

Imogen brought her hands to her short, brown hair and gawked at the sight. "This is fucking crazy."

"No kidding."

He was just as shocked as she was, and she was an Ordinaire. Dragons were extremely rare, and he'd never been to the House Doragon's hidden mountain range base in rural Japan. The fire breathing beasts were often found near the outlying volcanoes near

They were truly magnificent creatures. Beautiful in a terrifying way. They could hundreds of lives just by opening their mouths. Thorian was lucky to have a few of them on his side.

Sebastian didn't have time to admire the dragons. He and Imogen needed to keep moving.

"Let's go." He grabbed her hand and pulled her along. She barely noticed, her eyes still glued to the flying creatures in the darkened sky.

Sebastian surveyed the area. They were in a part of the city away from the massive shield charm protecting the portal from the rest of Thania. Barricades made from abandoned shop carts, flags, and ice spikes enchanted not to melt blocked the road. People were working beyond the barrier, carrying out spare pieces of furniture to add to their makeshift defenses.

They must not have seen the dragons in the sky.

They would soon. Smoke had already started rising in the distance. The dark clouds blocked out the stars and moon in the sky.

As he approached them, he remembered he left Remy and Luka behind when he'd gone after Imogen. He wondered if they had waited for him or made their way to the palace. He hoped the latter option was the one they went with.

He remembered their argument. It was stupid, really. The boy was right, but he couldn't bring himself to let Makaela go. He wanted to, truly, but something was holding him back. The memory of her was chained to his brain, tattooed onto his hippocampus.

Remy's words flipped a switch in his head. He had flipped out and pushed the boy. Despite that, he wished he was okay. He wouldn't know what to do if he found out he had been killed.

They needed to find him. And Luka. The only issue was that he had no idea where they could've been. Knowing Remy, he probably started towards the palace. Sebastian hoped he was right.

"Where to now?" Imogen asked.

"This way."

He led her to the barricades. As they approached the hastily assembled defenses, two young-looking soldiers approached them. They muttered spells under their breaths, drawing water from two nearby basins and forming them into icicles in the air.