Two

"Stop!" Elyssa yells at me.

"Make me!" I smile and kick more leaves to her.

Her parents came over for Thanksgiving, and our parents told us to play outside. We had been avoiding each other and were told that we had to get along.

I laughed when leaves hit her face. She took of her new black-framed glasses and wiped off the little leaves.

"Don't make me stuff leaves in your mouth." She threatened and took off the last leaf from her hair.

That made me stop. I laid on my back and looked up at the sky. The clouds passed by and I had seen no interest in them what so ever. I didn't understand why people say they found it intresting to see shapes on these clouds.

They are just look like blobs. Simple, white and puffy blobs.

"Why do you guys keep coming?" I groaned.

"My mom likes to hang out with your mom, duh?"

Yeah, that's true about our mothers. And my dad likes to hang out with her dad, too. The only problem is that Elyssa and I hate eachother, like alot.

"That's the problem. " I mumbled.

My mother came out to call us in to pray for our food. We scurried in the front door at the same time, both falling down from bumping together.

I look up to my mother biting her bottom lip, stifling a laugh.

"Come on guys." She smiled and helped us up.

I glanced at Elyssa as we made our way to the living room where everybody was. She sat by Aaliyah and I had to sit next to her. There was no other choice.

Once all of our plates were filled with food, my dad began to say grace.

"Bow heads." My dad instructed.

We obliged and held hands.

"Thank you God..." My dad went on and I payed no attention for Elyssa was squeezing my hand, hard. I winced and did the same to her. Two can play at this game.

I opened on eye and looked at her her. She looked amused as she stared back at me. This is not funny. Why is she smiling?

"Amen." My dad finished. Elyssa and I both shot our heads up.

"Amen." We all repeated.

The table was quiet when we began to stuff our faces with food they brought. It was only Elyssa's family and mine, actually. Our parents decided to spend Thanksgiving together. Mom made the Turkey and stuffing. Elyssa's mom made mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce. Our dads got pumpkin pie earlier today.

It was the least they could do, my mom had said.

****

August 8, 2004. My 6th birthday.

Also, the day Elyssa got leukemia.

I didn't exactly know how you can tell if a person has cancer, and I don't know how long cancer stays.

The only thing I saw that was different about her was how she didn't want to play soccer. It had been almost a full year since I've met her. And one of the things I found out about her--other than hating me very much--is that she loves to play soccer.