Three

A/N :

for anybody who may be confused, I am just adding some quick little "pasts" of Shawn and Elyssa.

the next chapter will surely be about them being around 15/16.

______________

This is the first time Elyssa is having Thanksgiving with cancer and everybody else is taking it as a normal thing. I'm not.

I found it weird how the cancer hasn't gone away. But I don't really know what cancer even is. How long people have it. What caused people to have it. Nothing.

When my mom called us to the dinner table, I pulled her aside to talk.

"Is it okay if I can say grace this time?"

Her expression changed and she looked surprised. Instead of asking me why, she just nodded.

"Thank you " I give a small smile and skip my way to the table. My seat was the same as last year, right by Elyssa.

"Hold hands and bow heads... please." I instructed and they obliged.

It took a moment for me to begin. "Lord, we all gather here today to thank you for everything that you have done. Giving us food and shelter and protecting my family and Elyssa's family. We pray that you still help us throughout our lives..." I opened one eye and looked at Elyssa. She still had her eyes closed.

"I pray, to you, that you can help take away the cancer that Elyssa has. I don't want you to take away my... friend." I smiled. "Amen."

"Amen?" They sounded unsure.

After we had let go of eachother's hands, Elyssa kept on looking at me. Her brows knotted together and her brown eyes trailed down at every move I made.

She's acting weird now.

*******

"Merry Christmas, Karen!" My mother squeaked and passed a present to her.

I ran to Elyssa, who had her father carrying her. Her eyes were closed shut and she gave little snores. She was kind of drooling, too.

"Sorry, Shawn." He smiled and walked up the stairs to my room, I figured.

"Merry Christmas guys!" Karen hugged me tightly and walked her way to Aaliyah, who was playing with her doll. She just kept on throwing it and shoving it in her mouth, giggling for no apparent reason.

"Hi." I said, distracted. It was no fun anymore since Elyssa was asleep. I just hope she wakes before we actually open presents. I want her to open my present I got for her.

It took everything in my piggybank to buy that bear and she better love it.

Hours passed and it was time to open the presents. Elyssa was still asleep so I ran up the stairs and woke her up by jumping on the bed.

"Wake uuuuuuuuup!" I shook her and made a loud noise on the bedside table to wake her.

She groaned and tossed the pillow, aiming for my face.

I giggled and covered my mouth to not cackle like a witch, if thats possible.

"Come ooooon!" I whined. "We're opening up presents now!"

"I don't want to." She covers her face with the blanket.

I puff out air and sit at the edge of the bed. A thought came to mind and I smiled.