Chapter 8: Through the Motions

Staring into large, watery cerulean eyes, Cain and Virgil internally panicked. The small six-year-old girl before them had proudly shown off the results of her magic training, only to be shortly frightened by her two older male companions: was the misunderstanding that the two boys had in mind. Both males immediately felt guilty when they saw Velloa's teary expression.

With a nervous cough, Cain reached out to pat Velloa's head. "I am sorry, Velloa. What you did was not wrong, in fact, it was wonderful. For you to do all that on your own is quite a feat."

Noticing that Velloa's expression did not change, Virgil also stepped in. "Cain is right! What you did was great! You made quite a beautiful ice star, Vell!" He spoke with a reassuring smile.

However, before anyone knew it, more tears began to flow from the young girl's eyes as she silently cried and sniffled.

After much fussing, I had finally stopped crying. Honestly, my mental age is actually older, so the eighteen-year-old past life 'me' is feeling quite ashamed, but at least my outburst stopped Cain and Virgil from having me answer any awkward questions. As for the current situation, I was being carried in Cain's arms as we said our goodbyes for the day. A teleportation circle is located within my family's palace, which allows not only Father to conveniently go to the royal palace and back, but also allows Cain to quickly arrive and return after his classes in Yohso Academy.

"It was a pleasure to finally be able to teach you today, Velloa." Cain said in that signature gentlemanly manner of his. Oh? That's a nice expression! I'm sure he has quite the playboy-ish tendencies when he's not around children my age...

"Mm-hm! Thank you for teaching me, Cain!" I say in a, well-practiced, childish manner.

After also bidding Virgil goodbye, Cain finally let go of me and stepped onto the teleportation circle. As usual, I waved my hand at him as he poured his mana into the magic circle and loudly called out, "Yohso Academy!" Reacting to Cain's actions, the circle then glowed brightly – engulfing Cain's figure. By the time the light dissipated, Cain was gone.

Placing my hand back to my side, I contemplated on what was to come, for I am quite sure that Cain had reported the progress of my magic training to my parents before he left. No doubt the stunt that I pulled earlier was something deemed unusual. In the span of a few split seconds I concluded that the best way to dodge suspicion was to feign ignorance, for in the end, it was much more convenient for the sake of my sanity. There would be no need to keep up explanations and excuses; just simply feign ignorance... I nodded to myself.

"At this rate, Vell, you'll be able to catch up to me." Virgil's voice brought me back to reality.

Shaking my head, I then gave him a sheepish smile. "But all I can do is make shapes and turn them into ice. Brother, right now, you're more amazing! I want to be able to move and control water like you! When I see you use your magic, it's almost like the water is alive!"

Virgil scratched the back of his head shyly. "If you think that I'm amazing then I wonder what that makes Cain, as well as Mother and Father."

I simply giggled as the both of us left the room hand in hand.

From his office window, Hakoda looked out to the training ground to see both his children teaching themselves magic techniques. He chuckled as Virgil was almost unrestrainedly showing off the techniques that he had learned. All the while, his younger child, Velloa, was standing some distance away – admiring her older brother.

"While it may not look like it, between the two of them, Velloa is actually the one more likely to carry on our family's noble legacy." Ahkua commented.

Still observing his children with a faint smile, he hummed in agreement. "Virgil wishes to follow in your footsteps as a Royal Researcher. Whilst Velloa, although heavy the burden, is to be raised bearing the future of the Imitheos name."

A burst of laughter could be heard coming from the children outside.

"Are you concerned that there may be a rivalry between them?" Hakoda questioned.

Ahkua shook her head and gave a knowing smile. "Virgil is a good brother, I'm sure that he, at the very least, won't cause worry for such a reason." However, she let out a troubled sigh. "Velloa on the other hand, while she herself means no harm..."

"With the problematic so-called prophecy and the Encroachment looming over her, her mere existence can be considered worrisome." Hakoda finished. Chuckling, he continued, "No child comes without problems."

Ahkua, of course, knew that. "And as her parent, I too, am very much aware of what is needed for me to do for the sake of her safety." As she said so, she was filled with burning enthusiasm as she silently contemplated any ideas which could help at least alleviate the worry of Velloa's Encroachment.

After trying and failing to copy a technique from Virgil, a burst of laughter erupted from the both of us. I was thoroughly soaked after trying to control several water orbs at once, however, being the reliant older brother that he was, he swiftly controlled the water in order to remedy the situation. I made a sound of delight as I watched the water float around me and found that I was now no longer soaked.

"When it comes to fighting techniques, you're obviously new to them... But you're quite quick to learn less physical techniques like changing the temperature and form of water." Virgil commented. After a moment's silence he voiced, "Maybe you will be able to catch up to me in terms of healing techniques."

"There's so much to learn!" I lightly complained, to which Virgil chuckled.

Virgil bent down to pat my head. "Don't worry, I'll be sure to do my best to help you." He smiled gently.

A warm feeling enveloped me when I heard those words. "Promise? Not just with magic, but help with everything?"

He smiled gently. "As long as it's within my power."

I smiled back. Satisfied with the course of our brother and sister relationship. For the time being, it would seem that I have secured Virgil's trust. However, there's no telling whether or not all this will go out the window once Ariana (the MC) comes into the picture... But, seeing how there's a lot of time between her appearance and now, I allowed myself the pleasure of enjoying this innocent moment with my Brother.

----------CHAPTER END----------

Word Count: 1123

What did ya'll think? There was quite an amount of POV changing here, despite the short chapter, so I hope it wasn't confusing. In any case, see ya'll in the next chapter! :)