Chapter 17: Breathe

While I was still in a state of shock, a pair of arms lifted me up and carried me. "I must say, princess... You have really outdone yourself." Cain said with a wry smile as he glanced at the situation around us. "No, more accurately, you have outdone everyone, this time."

My gaze switched from Cain to Virgil, his expression similar to Cain's. Noticing my worried gaze, he simply shook his head and briefly squeezed my hand as a form of comfort. I now know the reason why Father had prepared and stationed our family's knights at each entrance to the stage. As I looked around, the nobles were making a fuss and quite a number of royal knights were being stopped by our own knights. Glancing towards the Imperare's throne, I found that his Majesty was standing up, including his wife and child, as he was surrounded by at least a dozen soldiers.

Levi, this isn't good. You'll have to go...

I watched as Levi's expression turned fierce. "Why? If these people are not pleassed with Master, then I can get rid of them."

Hearing the gasps of the surrounding people, I shook my head vigorously. No! This can be settled without violence!

I turned to Cain. "Please put me down."

He frowned. "I do not think that that is a wise decision at the moment."

With a resolute expression, I asked him once again. "Mother and Father should have known that something like this would have happened anyway, so please let me make this easier for them."

Cain's face gave away his reluctance, but after a few seconds of him gazing at me in a scrutinizing manner, he nonetheless obliged. Once Cain let go of me, I stood before Levi and placed both hands on either side of its large snout. Levi's expression immediately softened at my actions.

Thank you. You've done enough, so please return...

With a soft nudge and docile expression, at least as docile as a large dragon could look, Levi obeyed. "If that iss what Master wishess, then..."

Wanting to make one last spectacle of Levi, I focused my magic on the water which created Levi's form. Just before Levi's form lost its shape, I quickly lowered the temperature of the water, then once the water had frozen into ice, I controlled the mana in such a way that the ice almost immediately burst into tiny snowflakes; as a result, a sound similar to breaking glass to reverberated around the hall. As the small snowflakes fell, they glittered and shimmered like crystals as they scattered around the spacious hall, the snowflakes disappearing before even touching the floor. And so, as a result of Levi's exit, the commotion paused, and the noise immediately quieted down.

It wouldn't have been good if all that water suddenly splashed down onto all the nobles once Levi left...

Noticing an opportunity to shift the mood, I found that standing on the stage like this wasn't appropriate, so I pulled at Cain and Virgil's arms, signalling for us to once again kneel before the sovereign. Understanding my actions, both boys nodded and we all knelt in an orderly line before the Imperare with our heads bowed.

After seeing our actions, the Imperare immediately spoke. "What are you knights dawdling for? I was informed of this performance beforehand, so withdraw yourselves!" The Imperare's commanding voice resounded throughout the hall.

The three of us on stage visibly breathed out a collective sigh of relief after hearing the sovereign's words. As we continued to kneel, I could hear the sounds of swords being sheathed and the echo of multiple retreating footsteps. Because we were not yet told otherwise, the three of us kept our positions. However, I spotted a pair of black leather boots approach and stop before me. Curious, I glanced up, only to find myself gazing into the crimson eyes of Prince Kai. I immediately retracted my gaze in surprise.

Oh great, I hope he doesn't think badly of me. Actually, it would have been a lot better if he didn't think anything of me! This situation... I can't believe I have to deal with another love target so soon...

Interrupting my distressed thoughts, an outstretched hand appeared in my view. "Father thanks you for your performance and says that you can stand."

More surprises...

Trying my best to hide my apprehension, I placed my hand upon his and tried to keep a neutral smile as he helped me up. "Then I will give my thanks to his majesty and his highness."

With our current ages, the both of us stood at the same height. Prince Kai's hair was curly, like a cherub, and snowy white with an unusual red tinge, furthermore his large doe-like eyes were the kind of crimson that one would typically call 'ruby red'. I must say, with his swallowtail royal red suit jacket, grey knee length shorts and black leather lace up boots. He's really channelling the 'princely shota' look and vibe. Too bad this pretty boy is someone who could easily ruin my life...

Noticing his curious gaze, and the fact that he still hasn't let go of my hand, I continued to speak to him. "Is there anything else, your highness?"

"That large water dragon... Was it your Magic Manifestation?"

I nodded. "Yes, your highness. Levi appeared a few days ago while I was practising for this performance. Mother and Father were so proud that they wished for me to reveal my Magic Manifestation during his majesty's celebration."

His scarlet gaze had a noticeable sparkle in them. "Interesting..." Then, with an iridescent smile, he lightly tugged at my hand as he began to move. "Come. Father told me to introduce you to the other children."

I felt my heart rate rise after hearing those words. 'Other children'? Don't tell me...

Looking around, I caught my mother's reassuring nod as we made our way through the crowd of nobles. Glancing towards the Imperare, I found that he too was gazing towards our direction with a pensive expression. With no way to refuse Prince Kai, I was led out of the main hall with Cain and Virgil in tow. By now, I was sure that my apprehension had shown in my face and, perhaps having noticed that, Prince Kai spoke once again.

"Do not worry. I will introduce you to some good friends of mine." He said with a signature princely vibe.

With an unconvincing smile, I replied. "If your highness says so..." I'm sure they're good friends of yours, but that doesn't remove the dread and anxiety that I am feeling!

After a short and silent walk through the palace hallways, we arrived at a smaller hall, about a third of the size of the main hall. As we passed through another large pair of ornate doors, a group of children around our age greeted the young Prince upon seeing him. However, despite the crowd, my sights narrowed on two certain pretty boys approaching.

"You took too long, Prince Kai." A certain green haired bespectacled boy said as he stepped forward.

"We were beginning to think that you would not join us." Teased a smaller caramel haired boy.

Prince Kai nodded at the pair. "Dmitri, Zephyr... I would like to introduce you to someone."

With Prince Kai beside me, the two boys in front and Virgil (with Cain) behind. My face paled and my heart rate dropped. Four boys, four elements, four capture targets...

THEY'RE HEEERE! THEY'RE ALL HERE! THE CAPTURE TARGETS ARE ALL GATHERED IN ONE PLACE!!!

----------CHAPTER END----------

Word Count: 1263

Heeey sorry for the crap update... I have to take 5 papers this semester and I am not that great at time management. I only managed to write this because I'm currently on break.

In any case, see ya'll next chapter :)