Chapter 15: Vibrant

It's the Imperare's (sovereign) celebratory ball today, and here I am trying not to nervously jitter as we made our way to the royal palace by carriage. Mother and Father are in the leading carriage, whilst I'm accompanied by Cain and Virgil in another one. I glanced at the amount of security our family was bringing before boarding and it was at least two dozen worth of knights that were apparently our very own. It's weird... I've seen lots of maids and butlers in our palace, but the most knights I've seen at one time was three – and those three knights are usually the ones who closely accompany Father from time to time, so seeing this many is actually a first for me...

We began preparations early in the morning and left early afternoon. The Imitheos palace is situated an hour outside of the royal city's walls, it would also take practically another hour to navigate through the city itself and enter the royal palace. The ball was to start late afternoon at five PM and end late into the night. In any case, our entourage is quite impressive with the twenty or so knights, two carriages drawn by four horses each and another slightly fancy carriage also drawn by four horses where the six accompanying servants are riding in (one of them being Ana). Glancing outside the carriage window, I found myself admiring the looming walls of the royal city. They're not as tall, but it reminds me of a certain series about creatures called Titans...

Most likely noticing my constant state of anxiousness, Virgil spoke. "This is your first time in the royal city isn't it, Vell?" He said with a gentle expression.

With a nod, I replied. "I'm both nervous and excited."

Cain, who took an entire seat across from us, shifted from his light nap and yawned. "Oh, that's right. It's the little princess' first time outside her castle."

I pouted. "I am not a little princess, and you should sit properly. You're ruining your clothes."

With a lazy grin, he waved me off. "Don't worry. The fabric isn't the type to easily ruin just from lying down."

I tossed a light glare in his direction before turning my attention back to the scenery outside; we were now by the city walls waiting for passage through the gates. We were currently wearing our dance outfits underneath our hooded cloaks, hence my light reprimand. Also, if it wasn't for Ana fixing my hair up to a fancy half bun, decorated with extravagant hair accessories, I would've taken advantage of my brother's kindness and leaned on his shoulder in order to relieve some of my anxiousness. I could recognize that one of the precious gemstones on my accessories was a blue diamond. I wanted to ask what kind of gems they've used, but I don't think I could handle the truth of just how much my hair could be at the moment...

Just as I was about go silently convince myself that these gems on my head were not indeed worth thousands, if not, millions, I felt a gentle hand pull me. It was Virgil, and he had carefully rested the side of my face on his chest; most likely being mindful of my million-dollar hair. For a few seconds, I was stunned, but then I heard Virgil's heartbeat – and let's just say that he was feeling just as nervous as I was...

My expression was most likely that of a silly smile, but I gladly accepted Virgil's kind actions and silently wrapped my arms around him as I tried to take a nap in the rocking carriage.

My earlier assumption that the world of 'Hera: Captured Hearts' was like that of Victorian-era England truly wasn't quite right. The city's architecture and fashion were mainly Victorian era, but as I stared at the nearing royal palace, its magnificence reminded me of the Italian Royal Palace of Caserta. If anything, I think the nobles like Renaissance architecture. However, this is another world, so I guess this 'mix' of styles isn't really a 'mix', but something that's just 'normal'? Even our dance outfits resemble that of Arabian style dance clothes. I guess it's both a similarity and difference to 'Earth', especially since I don't think something like the 'Renaissance' period ever happened in this world. Wait, does the word 'Renaissance' even exist here...?

The carriage's pace significantly slowed, having noticed that, Cain reached into one of his cloak's pockets and handed me a piece of jewellery. "Would you mind helping me put this on?" He asked with his usual honeyed smile.

Not minding the request, since it looked to be a simple clip-on frontal headpiece jewellery, I obliged and slipped away from Virgil's embrace. Sitting by Cain's side, I admired the blue teardrop shaped moonstones and sapphires as I carefully positioned the piece of jewellery on his midnight blue hair. I found myself admiring Cain the exquisite workmanship of the jewellery. Honestly, the jewellery looked like stars as they rested on his hair...

"Still not as beautiful as you, Velloa." Cain teased; his expression amused.

Feeling my face heat up, I rushed back to Virgil's side and (carefully, without ruining my hair) hid my face as he embraced me once more. Wait, what was I thinking jumping back to Virgil? I don't think him hugging me is helping me with my embarrassment...

It was a good thing that I kept a relatively 'normal?' seven-year-old level of mental innocence for the most part of this carriage ride, because I don't think the that the eighteen-year-old past me could be able to handle these situations unscathed. For my parents to have left me in a carriage with these two... It's a bit much don't you think?

Having finally descended from our carriages, I casually took Virgil's hand as we followed the crowd up the stairs and into the palace's entrance. Wait, the external design is Renaissance, but the interior is Baroque? The person who designed the royal palace must have preferred making more of an impact on the interior rather than on the exterior. I guess making the royal palace look dramatic inside and out would cause the common people to feel some sort of displeasure...

The ceilings were high and painted with what is presumably highly dramatized depictions of the royal family's greatest feats, at least all the ones that they could fit at the time of building this place. For whatever reason, our family was led away from the crowd's movement and into another hall. With fewer people, our steps noticeably reverberated in the marble-graphite floored hall. I continued to admire the palace, noticing the constant colour of red everywhere I looked. As expected of the royal family who were known for their great power and talent in fire magic, they not only want to be with the fire but live with it too...

The old butler, whose vest and handkerchief were also noticeably crimson, that was leading us finally stopped before a pair of large ornate wooden doors. He then proceeded to knock, after which I heard Ana's voice give a response. Hearing her affirmation, he opened the doors and allowed us to enter with a slight bow.

Upon entering, the room looked modest compared to the entrance of the palace, although, it was still luxurious by normal standards. Seeing that the butler had closed the door and left us, Mother carefully gathered her powder blue silk evening dress and took a seat on one of the maroon chesterfield sofas.

"We will relax here until the main part of the ball nears." Father explained as he sat down on a single sofa.

I nearly let out a cheer. Yes! I don't have to face the possibility of meeting Prince Kai just yet!

"Young Miss, please remove your cloak and sit here. I simply need to make sure that your hair and clothes are in good order. We will put on some makeup later." Ana said as she stood before a stool next to a tiered trey table filled with products and items used for hair and makeup.

I complied with Ana's instructions. Sitting on the cushioned stool, I took the opportunity to try and relax before the performance... As well as to mentally prepare for the chance of meeting another love target.

Wait, now that I think about it, all the love targets are from incredibly affluent noble families, so wouldn't there be a high chance of not just meeting the Prince but all of them as well?! Glancing at Mother and Father, I felt myself pale as I also remembered something. I'm from the family of a Grande and highly respected Royal Researcher, something like personally interacting with the royal family on this occasion... Wouldn't it be a given?!

----------CHAPTER END----------

Word Count: 1479    

See ya'll in the next chapter! :)