20.

23 March 2016
1:30pm

•♛•

"Mummy... Where's daddy?"

Hyerin's mother had her eyebrows knotted into a frown hearing what she had asked.

"Your dad left us, Hyerin. He left us," she uttered.

A confused look was evident by Hyerin's facial expression. She shook her head, not wanting to believe what her mother was saying. At that moment, her mother dragged her by the hand, bringing her to room 1044. She pushed open the door to that room and was greeted with furnitures sprawled everywhere.

Bedsheets were on the floor, chairs were flipped over, a broken lamp sat at a corner of the room and blood––it was all over the floor and bed. That was the state of the room after the incident.

The incident where the fight between Hyerin's parents became so bad, her father strangled her mother.

And it all started when they lost Hyerin back at the motel where they saw a messy pool of blood and Hyerin's dead body in middle of the bathroom. Her father could not accept the loss and blamed his wife for leaving Hyerin alone in the room. They fought all the way from the motel to the current hotel and never resolved it. As rage took over, her father subconsciously strangled his wife to death. He did felt a sense of guilt but he was more fearful than guilty. Due to that,

he ran off.

23 March 2016
2:00pm

•♛•
JUNGKOOK

When Hyerin and her mother entered room 1044, J-Hope and I thought that it would help if we researched on what had really happened years ago in that room. Due to that, we went finding for Suga hyung as we somehow knew he could get access to the hotel's booking system. He snuck us into the staff room at the lobby before turning on a computer.

"I can't believe you guys got a room on the tenth floor," Suga uttered as we waited for the computer to start up.

"Why? Is the floor restricted?" I asked him.

"No, but my supervisor said that they avoid letting people stay on the tenth floor because of the incident you guys were talking about," Suga responded as he typed in the password to the computer.

Before we came to the staff room, J-Hope and I had told him about the room 1044 incident and that we needed to know the names of the couple involved. For now, we only knew their daughter's name, Hyerin, but not their own names.

Suga went to open up the hotel's booking system and its archives before typing room 1044 into the search bar. A long list of names appeared on screen together with its checked-in dates.

"They can be anyone," Suga said as he scrolled through the list.

It was true but then, something struck me. Hyerin's parents were the last two people to stay in room 1044 due to the incident. That means the most recent checked-in date for that room would be them.

Right?

"Hyung, find the most recent date in the list," I instructed Suga.

He went to reorganise the list to the most recent and seconds later, the list changed.

Customer                              Checked in date
1. Mr Kang Hanbin                    20/03/2014

Right at that moment, my jaw dropped slightly. That surname of the customer was so familiar to me, I felt like I knew someone with that surname. It was then when I realised who he really was.

"He's Dr Kang..."

.