Chapter 7

Nico gives me a blank look and Anubis gives a sly smile.

"Are you sure? I mean, it's going to be a tough trip and I don't know if you can handle it..." Nico questions.

Anubis and I glance at one another and burst out laughing.

"Nico, remember how I told you about how I was on one of the most dangerous quests?" Anubis says,  barely containing his laughter.

Nico bobs his head in response.

"Well, Sadie was by my side the entire time and did even more than I did."

Nico's mouth forms an "o" shape, causing me to giggle.

We clean up our mess and Nico finds Annabeth and tells her Anubis and I would be joining the mission. Annabeth looks me up and down, as if I were incapable of going on the trip. Luckily, Anubis saves me.

"Well, since you don't know what our powers are like, why don't Sadie and I show you?"

I grin at him and we back up from everyone else. I pull my wand out of thin air, a new trick Anubis taught me. He does the same. The second he does, he spawns monsters. A few minor ones that to any advanced magician are a piece of cake.

I effortlessly wipe out the right fleet and he takes the left. We finish without breaking a sweat, leaving about a foot of monster dust. We turn around proudly to see Annabeth in shock and Nico nodding in approval.

Annabeth nods slowly. "We're leaving in an hour, so get ready." She states and quickly turns on her heel.

"What's her deal?" I grumble.

Nico looks up and smiles. "She's jealous you have a talent that she doesn't. Don't worry though, she'll get over it soon enough."

I nod and Anubis and I head towards the cabin hand in hand and grab our stuff, which was still packed. By the time we left the cabin, we had 45 minutes left.

"So, what do you want to do?" Anubis asks.

"We could always explore the woods," I say gingerly. Anubis rolls his eyes, knowing what a nature freak I am.

"Or we could look for any signs of Travis." Annabeth suggests, walking up behind us. "The woods would be a good place to start."

We follow Annabeth's lead into the woods. "Hey Jackal head, why don't you get your dogs to sniff around for traces of him?" I call to Anubis. His face lights up.

"Annabeth, do you have anything of Travis's?" She shakes her head and pulls out a bracelet, handing it to Anubis. "Connor insisted I take this. He's going to be on the mission as well,"

Anubis whistles and in an instant, 5 jackals are at his feet, ferociously wagging there tails. He let's each of them sniff it, and in an instant, they're off. "I'm going to get the rest of the search party." Annabeth proclaims, turning on her heel and walking back towards the cabins.

We follow them through the woods, and end up having to run. Without a warning, Anubis scoops me up into his arms and slings me on his back, causing me to erupt in giggles.

We follow them to a clearing in the woods where they stop and start sniffing around the ground.

"They've found something." Anubis mind-links me. "It's definitely Egyptian. They shadow traveled."

I nod, but a question lingers at the back of my brain. Why would Travis have anything to do with Egyptian mythology?