01

Ruka (2)

I sat beside Zuko while Iroh and Kanto received back massages.

"This is what I've been missing." Iroh sighed. "Who knew floating on a piece of driftwood for three weeks with no food or water and sea vultures waiting to pluck out your liver would make one so tense."

It has been three weeks. Three weeks exactly.

Three weeks since I've seen Sokka and Katara. Three weeks since they let me walk away without a word.

"Ah, yes. Especially after all the training." Kanto added.

Zuko and I were both looking down to the floor - our bodies were tense.

I saw Iroh sit down next to Zuko from the corner of my eye. He noticed our distance. "I see... it's the anniversary, isn't it?"

"Three years ago today, I was banished. I lost it all. I want it back. I want the Avatar. I want my honor, my throne. I want my father not to think I'm worthless."

"I'm sure he doesn't! Why would he banish you if he didn't care?" Iroh 'pointed out'. Zuko looked to Iroh for a split second before standing up and walking away.

"Er, that came out wrong, didn't it?"

"He'll get it over it." I said. I felt a hand on my shoulder and I slightly jumped. I turned my head and Kanto was smiling at me. "Everything alright with you?"

I looked back down to the floor, "I'm fine."

"Is this about those two water tribe siblings of yours?" Kanto asked me.

I sighed, "Time flew by so quickly... sometimes I even forgot. With our training and stress about our days on the driftwood - I finally get the chance to clear my head, but all I could think about is them."

"I know what could really clear your head." Kanto said while standing up. "We haven't trained today."

I nodded and stood up, trailing behind him.

Practically everyday, all day, Kanto and I trained. We were starving, thirsty, and tired but we pulled through.

My bending has improved tremendously since the North Pole. Kanto says that maybe after a week or two, I'll be on my own.

"I won't be with you for long. Once I get the feeling that you won't need me anymore, I'll leave you my scrolls and I'll be on my way." He told me.

And as for Zuko, we didn't exactly 'bond' during our time on the driftwood. We would talk from time to time once Iroh and Kanto were asleep, but we haven't really had an actual conversation.

"Very good Ruka. Let the tension in your body flow out of you and into the water. Let it snap!"

The water whip I created turned into a long, sharp icicle. I shot it toward a tree branch, the icicle snapping the branch off when it hit.

Kanto nodded with a smirk, "Very good."

>>>

I was in the small home where Zuko, Iroh, Kanto, and I have been staying.

Zuko, Iroh, and I were together while Kanto was out for a walk.

Iroh was showing us his shell collection with a grin, "Look at these magnificent shells! I'll enjoy these keepsakes for years to come."

"We don't need anymore useless things!" Zuko snarled. "You forget we have to carry everything ourselves now!"

"Oh, leave him alone Zuko! They are pretty!" I said with a cheesy smile while picking one up and showing it to Zuko up close.

"Hello brother, Uncle."

All of us turned our heads to see a girl, perhaps my age, sitting in a chair by a table.

She wore high quality Fire Nation clothing with her black hair up in a bun, her bangs were let out on the sides.

I looked to Zuko and Iroh who both had unpleasant faces. "What are you doing here?" Zuko asked her in a low voice.

"In my country, we exchange a pleasant 'hello' before asking questions." She stood up from the chair and walked over to us, "Have you become uncivilized so soon, Zuzu?"

I snickered, "Zuzu?"

"Don't call me that!" Zuko snarled.

The girl looked over Zuko's shoulder and faced me. "And who might this be? A new girlfriend? Should I send Mai my regards?"

Mai?

"To what do we owe this honor?" Iroh brought us back to the original question.

"Hm, must be a family trait. Both of you so quick to get to the point." I heard something crack while I saw pieces of sea shell fall to the floor.

"I come with a message from home. Fathers changed his mind. Family is suddenly very important to him. He's heard rumors of plans to overthrow him, treacherous plots. Family are the only ones you can really trust." She turned her head to the side, "Father regrets your banishment. He wants you home."

I looked to Zuko and Iroh who held serious faces. I looked to them then back to the girl then back to them.

"Did you hear me?! You should be happy, excited, grateful! I just gave you great news." She smiled mischievously.

"I'm sure your brother simply needs a moment-"

"Don't interrupt Uncle!"

I see the temper runs in the family.

Zuko's sister walked over to him, "I still haven't heard my thank you. I am not a messenger, I didn't have to come all this way!"

"Father regrets?" Zuko asked softly. "He... wants me back?"

"I can see you need time to take this in. I'll come to call on you tomorrow. Good evening." As she walked passed me, she looked to me from the corner of her eye with a smirk. Her look sent me chills.

I looked to Zuko with a worried look. He looked to me and for the first time ever, I saw a sparkle of light in his eyes. "I'm going home."

Side note: I'm back and it's here! I know there wasn't much of Zuko and Ruka in the last book, but you will see plenty of moments from the two from here on out. Thank you for reading and I can't wait to continue ruka's journey with you all!