27

Ruka (2)

Today was just another day in the tea shop. But it was a different day. A new day. A good day.

Throughout the morning, Zuko and I would steal looks at each other. I just wanted to run up to him and hug him... and kiss him. But we're at work. We have to be profesional.

But he's just so... Zuko.

As I was placing just recently used tea cups and plates from a table on a tray, I felt a warm presence next to me. I turned my head and Zuko was wiping down the table.

"Hey you." I smiled.

He smirked, "Hi." His soft, raspy voice sent chills down my spine.

Zuko pinched my pouted bottom lip before moving his fingers down to my chin and pulling me forward. Before our lips touched, I pulled away. "Lee, not in front of everyone." I felt my cheeks get warm.

"Let's go outside then." He smirked once again. I nodded. Before we could take a step away from the table, Iroh caught our attention.

"My own tea shop?! This is dream come true!"

Three men, clearly from the upper ring, were talking with Iroh. Pao quickly ran over to the four men. "What's going on here? Are you trying to poach my tea maker?!"

"Sorry pal, but that's business for you, am I right?" The man in charge said. I only know this because of the way he's dressed compared to duo standing behind him.

"Mushy, if you stay, I'll make you Assistant Manager." Pao bribed. "Wait! Senior Assistant Manager!"

I snickered while looking up at Zuko. "Should I be fighting for this Senior Assistant Manager?"

Zuko playfully nudged me.

"I'll provide you with a new apartment in the Upper Ring. The tea shop is yours to do whatever you want! Complete creative freedom." The man bargained.

"I even get to the name the shop?" Iroh asked hopefully.

"Of course!" The man grinned. This sold Iroh.

Trying again, Pao bribed once again. "Uh- Senior Executive Assistant Manager?!"

I huffed, "He should be offering me this position."

Zuko rolled his eyes before putting the tray in my hands down on the table. He placed his arm around my shoulder. "C'mon."

As we started to walk outside, Iroh called for us. "Did you hear nephew and Jade? This man wants to give us our own tea shop in the Upper Ring of the City!"

The man turned around at us and grinned. "That's right you two! Your life is about to change for the better!"

"That's great!" I said.

"Yeah. I'll try to contain my joy." Zuko sarcastically added before sliding the shop's door open.We leaned back on the front of the shop, I laid my head onto his chest.

Zuko put his finger under my chin and lifted my head up, just like earlier. We leaned into each other until our lips touched.

As we kissed, a name popped up into my head. I frowned into the kiss.

Zuko pulled away and furrowed his brow. "What's wrong?"

I sighed while looking down at the ground. "Am I being cheated on?"

"It hasn't even been twenty-four hours, Ruka. How can I cheat on you?" He asked.

"Fine then, not on me..." I looked up and faced him. "On Mai."

Zuko looked away from me. "Why are you bringing her up?"

"Well, I didn't want to ruin the moment yesterday... you said she was your girlfriend."

He faced me again. "Didn't you just hear yourself? Was."

"You also said it was complicated."

"When is anything in my life not complicated?"

"But-"

Zuko placed his finger onto my lips to stop me from talking anymore. After a few seconds, he removed it then sighed. "You know what isn't complicated in my life right now? You. You are the one good thing in my life right now. So can you just let me be your boyfriend?"

I smiled as I wrapped my arms around his neck and planted a short kiss on his lips. Things are finally looking up.

A minute later, a leaflet made its way down to us. When Zuko caught it, we both widened our eyes at the large picture in the middle.

My heart dropped and my heart was racing.

"Th-that's Appa." I said before my eyes scanned the poster some more.

LOST SKY BISON

I placed my hand on my heart while trying to ease my breathing. "They're here. They're in Ba Sing Se."

I guess I spoke too soon.