15

Ruka (2)

It's been rather awkward between Zuko and I, which is understandable. We haven't really spoken to each other, only when it was needed.

Some times Zuko would try to strike up a conversation, but he fails. Not because of me, but because he chickens out. I don't even try because I'd just make it even more awkward.

"So, why are we here again?" I asked Iroh as we walked into a local tavern at Misty Palms Oasis. "There's a friend here that I think could help us." He responded. We took a seat at a table and ordered some drinks. I looked around and didn't see anybody that stood out enough to be Iroh's so-called 'friend.'

After about a half hour, nothings changed. "No one here's gonna help us. These people just look like filthy wanderers." Zuko said with his brow furrowed. I looked down at my attire and saw no difference with my appearance than the people around us. "So do we." Iroh said with a smile. He looked past Zuko and I followed his gaze. "Ah, this is interesting. I think I found our friend." An older man sat alone at a Pai Sho table. I looked to Iroh confused, "Are you referring to the man, or to the board?"

Iroh stood up from his chair. "Both."

"You brought us here to gamble on Pai Sho?" Zuko asked him. "I don't think this is a gamble." Iroh responded before he walked over to the man's table. Zuko and I followed.

"May I have this game?" Iroh asked the man. The man observed us for a moment before saying, "The guest has the first move."

Iroh took a seat on the small stool. He placed a lotus tile on the center of the board, which intrigued the man. "I see you favor the white lotus gambit." He said. "Not many still cling to the ancient ways." The man bowed to Iroh with his palms up. "Those who do can always find a friend." Iroh said while bowing with the same hand gestures as the man.

"Then let us play." The man placed a tile on the board then Iroh did the same. They did this back and forth in a rather quick motion. I watched intensely until I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turn and Zuko gazed down at the stools next to me. I thanked him and we both sat down before continuing to watch the game.

Eventually, the game was presumably done. They created a lotus formation with the tiles. "Welcome brother." The man told Iroh. "The White Lotus opens wide to those who know her secrets."

"What are you old gasbags talking about?" Zuko asked rudely. I rolled my eyes and waited for Iroh to respond. "I always tried to tell you that Pai Sho is more than just a game." Iroh smiled.

"What's the White Lotus?" I asked either one of the elders in front of me, but before either could answer, a man interjected. "It's over!" Two men stomped over to us. "You three fugitives are coming with me!"

Our 'friend' walked in front of us and pointed his finger, "I knew it! You three are wanted criminals with a giant bounty on your heads!"

Zuko grabbed my hand before looking at Iroh angrily. "I thought you said he would help?!"

"He is." Iroh said lowly. "Just watch."

"You think you're going to capture them and collect all that gold?" Our 'friend' asked the two men. Once his sentence was finished, the whole taverns attention was on us.

"Uh, maybe we shouldn't." One of the men who seemed calmer than his friend said. As a fight broke out, our 'friend' quickly led us out of the tavern. It was already dark out.

Outside of the tavern was a board that held up several wanted posters. Including Aang's, Zuko's, and even mine! "Wow, I didn't know I had a wanted poster." I smiled. "You shouldn't be happy about that." Zuko said as he pulled me away from the board. I shrugged, "That just makes me feel even more part of the group."

>>>

Friend brought us to a flower shop. He didn't waste any time to strike up a conversation with Iroh. "It is an honor to welcome such a high ranking member of the Order of the White Lotus. Being a grand master, you must know so many secrets."

"Now that you played Pai Sho, are you going to do some flower arranging or someone in this club gonna offer some real help?" Zuko asked frustratingly. We followed the two older men to the other side of the shop. "You must forgive my nephew." Iroh said. "He has little appreciation for the cryptic arts."

Friend knocked on the door that seemed to lead to a back room. A small window on the door slid open and a man peeked out, "Who knocks at the garden gate?"

"One who has eaten the fruit and tasted its mysteries." Iroh responded. The door then opened and Iroh and friend walked in. Because Zuko started to follow, I did too. But, the door shut in our faces. Iroh slid the small window open, "I'm afraid it's members only. Wait out here."

Zuko frowned and crossed his arms. I leaned back on the wall with my own arms crossed. He awkwardly smelled the flower next to him and I stifled a laugh. "Smell good?"

He shrugged. "It's whatever."

There was awkward silence between the two of us and it made me feel uncomfortable. I started to whistle a tune and soon enough, Zuko joined in too. But his tune was much more different than mine.

"Where's that from?" I asked him.

"Uncle used to sing it to me and my cousin when I was a kid." He replied.

That's right... Iroh had a son.

I thought about when Iroh was unconscious and before he woke up, he mumbled a name. Lin Toe? Len Tin? Lu... Lu Ten!

"Was your cousins name Lu Ten?" I asked. Zuko lifted his brow. "Yes. How would you know that?"

"Before Iroh woke up after he was unconscious, he said that name." I said. "I was trying to put two and two together."

Zuko simply nodded before looking down to the floor.

"Speaking of names..." I fiddled my fingers. "Who's Mai?"

Zuko's body tensed up and I could see his eyes slightly widen. "Someone important I presume?"

"Did Uncle say that name too?" He asked. I shook my head. "No, but Azula did."

"That was a long time ago. Why does it matter now?"

I shrugged. "It just came to me."

Zuko sighed. "She's my girlfriend... or was... I don't know, it's complicated."

I widened my eyes. "Girlfriend?! You have a girlfriend?!"

"Would you keep it down?" Zuko gritted. "We don't need people knowing our business let alone that we're in here hiding. Those guys could be outside."

"You kissed me and you have a girlfriend."

"You kissed me back."

"I didn't know you had a girlfriend."

"I told you, it's complicated."

"Doesn't make it okay." I turned away from him and exhaled a sigh.