11

Ruka (2)

I groggily opened my eyes and waited for my vision to clear up. I quickly tightened my grip around Zuko's waist when I realized Jimbo was running fast. "Why is he going so fast?!" I asked Zuko who looked like he hadn't slept in a few days because he hasn't.

Ever since we left the village, which was about three days ago, we haven't stopped. Zuko only stopped to get water, and maybe some food.

At times, I convinced him to let Jimbo rest for a few hours and sometimes he listened.

Zuko and I have gotten somewhat close these past three days. 72 hours is a lot of time to spend with a person. At first, Zuko was distant and wouldn't talk to me. But the more I opened up to him, the more he did the same with me.

I always felt accomplished when I made him smile or laugh, even it was just once the whole day.

"You should laugh more, smile even." I told him one night.

"I smile..." Zuko defended. "Sometimes."

"Laughter is what people need right now." I frowned, "I know I need it."

Zuko eyes softened, "You have a nice smile."

I wearingly smiled, "So do you."

I can genuinely say we're friends, which is crazy considering his position. But, I like Zuko. I really do.

"He's following Azula." Zuko answered my initial question. I widened my eyes, "You're crazy psychotic sister?!"

"That's the one."

"Have you gone mad?" Considering your obsession with Aang, that was a dumb question. "Why are you following her?!"

"She's leading us right to the Avatar."

My expression went dull. All that went through my mind were my siblings. I haven't seen them since the North Pole and that was about two and half months ago.

After a few minutes, I finally broke the silence, "How do you know it's her?"

"I just know."

I sighed, "Alright."

"Are you okay?"

"I'm fine. Do you want me to take over?"

"No."

Following Azula not only means I have to face my siblings again, it also means risking Aang's safety.

I told Roku that I wouldn't fight against Aang. And I won't. I never will. But I can't fight against Zuko either.

I thought it'd be easy when times like this came. It should be easy.

If I fight Zuko, I'm throwing away any ounce of his trust. I can't afford that. I'm supposed to help him get on the right path and though I still have no idea how to do that, me helping Aang isn't going to make that easier.

"Ruka!"

I jumped once I was snapped back into reality. Zuko was looking over his shoulder at me. Both of us held a blank expression - we kept staring at each other for a few moments before he shook his head and faced forward.

I brought my head down and stared down at the tracks under us. I kept my gaze on them for the remainder of the time we were following them.

>>>

Zuko started to follow footprints from what looked like came from a mongoose lizard. The footprints ended at a ghost town.