05

Ruka (2)

We've been on the streets for a few days now - asking for change from strangers walking down the streets. Honestly, it's uncomfortable but it's what we have to do.

Song's ostrich horse laid asleep behind us while we sat in front of him. Iroh was asking for change while Zuko and I kept our heads low.

"Spare coins for weary travelers?" Iroh asked a man. He threw some coins into Iroh's hat and he smiled down at it.

I was beginning to drift off and my body started to lean onto Zuko's. But he pushed me off and I jumped up, "What happened?"

"This is humiliating! We're royalty! These people should be giving us whatever we want!" Zuko complained. I pointed my finger, "Was royalty. You're banished."

Zuko sent me a glare and I cleared my throat, "Sorry."

"They will if you ask nicely." Iroh said. A young woman in nice clothing walked passed us and Iroh caught her attention, "Spare change for a hungry old man." Iroh's voice deepened and he made a sickened face.

"Awe," the woman chuckled. "Here you go."

"The coin is appreciated, but not as much as your smile!" Iroh cocked his brow. Zuko and I face palmed ourselves.

An obnoxious voice caught my attention. In front of us stood a fairly older man with a sword on his back. "How about some entertainment in exchange for a gold piece?"

"We're not performers." Zuko snarled with his arms crossed.

"Not professional anyway." Iroh said before he stood up and started to sing a tune. "It's a long, long way to Ba Sing Se, but the girls in the city - they look so prettay!"

"Come on! We're talking a gold piece here!" The man pulled out his sword that ended up being dual swords and I quickly looked over to Zuko who averted his attention to the awful man. "Let's see some action! Dance!"

The man slid the dual swords repeatedly under Iroh and he dodged them one by one, making it look like he was 'dancing.' Iroh continued to sing and I gritted my teeth, "I'll show him entertainment."

As I was about to stand up, Zuko pulled me down. He was getting even more frustrated and his grip on my wrist tightened.

Once the man started to obnoxiously laugh and point his swords down, Zuko's grip on me loosened.

"Nothing like a fat man dancing for his dinner! Here you go!"

I pulled my wrist away and looked down at it. You could see Zuko's finger marks and I sighed. "Sorry." Zuko muttered.

"Such a kind man." Iroh hummed as he sat down. I shook my head, "Maybe we should talk about your definition of kind."

>>>

Later that day, we went to the cheapest noodle shop in the town and ate our dinner there.

"This is horrible!" Zuko yet again complained. "Not really. Just don't breath too much when you're chewing on the noodles." I advised.

"No, not the noodles! This! We can't keep living like this Uncle." He banged his fist on the table and I quickly picked up my bowl so it wouldn't fall.

I furrowed my brows and pouted, "Watch it hot head!"

Zuko rolled his eyes and crossed his arms. "Patience my nephew." Iroh said as he took Zuko's plate and placed it in front of him.

"It's already getting dark." I observed, "Maybe we should start heading back."

"I think you're right." Iroh nodded. Once we were finished, we got on top of the ostrich horse - that I named Jimbo - and rode away from the city.

We settled down in the cave we've been staying at. The cave was a good size, I didn't exactly have a problem with it.

However, I do get cold at night sometimes and our fire doesn't last through the whole night. I secretly snuggle against Zuko for warmth and by the time he wakes up, I've moved away from him.

I've tried it with Iroh but his snoring and rumbling keeps me up and Zuko doesn't make much noise or move around too much.

"Now for some much needed rest." Iroh hummed as he laid down. The sun already had went down and twinkling stars replaced it.

I sat with my legs crossed across from Zuko. I watched the flames crackle in front of me, I smiled at the warmth I felt.

"You don't let things get to you." Zuko said bluntly. I shrugged, "I try to be optimistic."

"Is it difficult?"

"I have a temper like yours Zuko. But I control it... sometimes." I chuckled, "It's funny because my temper was always at ease until I left the South Pole."

The only sounds between us were the crackles of the flame's and Iroh's snoring. It stayed that way until Zuko whispered, "It's time."

"Huh?"

Zuko stood up and walked out of the cave. "What the..." I stood up and carefully followed him. He stopped at a tree and bent down to pick up a mask I haven't seen in a while: The Blue Spirit.

Zuko placed on the mask then threw me a hood. I placed it on and looked up to him. He wrapped a scarf around my mouth and nose then tied it in the back.

Zuko turned away and started to run off and I did the same. I didn't question him through our way back to the city.

I followed him until we reached an alleyway. Before Zuko could walk any further, I grabbed onto his arm. I pulled the scarf down, "Can you tell me what we're doing please?"

Zuko picked up his mask just a smidge, "We're looking for the man you called awful."

"So you're dad?" I joked, kinda. Zuko shook his head while placing his mask back on. "Kidding. I'm catching on, let's go."

Once we found the man, we made it noticed that we were following.

From on-top of a building, Zuko and I watched him take out his dual swords from their sheath and get into a defensive stance. "Who's there?!"

Zuko and I nodded to each other before jumping down. The man turned around quickly, Zuko swiftly grabbed onto his wrists and let the swords drop down. I pulled him down and using the water from my water skin, I froze down his wrists to the floor.

Zuko picked up the dual swords and we were off.