18

Ruka (2)

"Here you go." I smiled while handing a child a bowl of food. She thanked me before quickly handing it over to her mother. She looked back over to me and said, "I ate today. It's her turn." Before the mother could protest, I gave the child another bowl. "There's enough for everyone," I gave them a short wave. "Good night."

The mother and daughter thanked me once again before I walked back to the group who sat in a circle. I sat my bum down next to Zuko and grabbed a plate of food.

When I turned my head to Zuko, he was slightly smiling at me. I did the same before taking a bite of my food.

"So Smellerbee, that's an unusual name for a young man." Iroh said. I choked on my food. "Maybe it's because I'm not a man," Smellerbee said. "I'm a girl!" She stood up and walked away. As she did so, Iroh tried to help himself. "Oh, now I see! It's a beautiful name for a lovely girl!"

Longshot then stood up and walked after her. I couldn't help but snicker. "Way to go, Iroh."

Iroh frowned. "I didn't know."

We continued to eat our food until Jet walked over to us. I kept my eyes down at my bowl of noodles. I could feel Jet smirking at me before sitting down in front of us. "From what I heard, people eat like this every night in Ba Sing Se. I can't wait to set my eyes on that giant wall."

"It is a magnificent sight." Iroh said. "So you've been there before?" Jet asked. I looked to Iroh from the corner of my eyes. "Once, when I was a... different man." He said sadly.

"I've done some things in my past that I'm not proud of." Jet admitted. I rolled my eyes. "That's an understatement." I muttered.

"But that's why I'm going to Ba Sing Se, for a new beginning - second chance."

"That's very noble of you. I believe people can change their lives if they want to. I believe in second chances." Iroh said. I finally picked my head up and looked at Zuko, listen up hothead.

"You're very quiet." Jet said to me. "I think you and Longshot would get along."

I faced him. I didn't want to respond. He'll probably recognize the sound of my voice if I did.

"She's usually a chatter box." Iroh joked. I sent him a playful glare while he chuckled.

"He's right." Zuko said lowly. He leaned down to my ear and whispered, "Are you okay?"

I leaned into his ear, "Can we talk? Away from here."

Zuko nodded before the both of us stood up. We moved away from them, enough to where our conversation was inaudible.

I crossed my arms. "You can't trust Jet."

"Why not?"

"He's not a good person."

Zuko furrowed his brow, "How do you know?"

"Because I know him. Back when I was with Aang, we stayed with him and his freedom fighters for a few days. Zuko, he was planning to drown an entire village full of innocent people. His head isn't on right."

Zuko leaned back on the pillar and crossed his own arms. "How come he hasn't said anything about you?"

I shrugged. "I'm confused about that too."

Zuko thought for a minute before putting a strand of my hair behind my ear. "Your hair."

I cleared my throat, making him put his hand down. I played with the ends of my hair that now reached under my shoulders.

"Maybe he doesn't recognize you." Zuko said.

I sighed. "Maybe." I looked over to Jet and Iroh who were looking at Zuko and I. "Hey," Zuko moved my head to face him with his thumb and index finger on my chin. "If it bothers you that much, I'll tell him to backoff."

I thought about it but decided against it. "No," I sighed. "We'll be in Ba Sing Se by noon tomorrow, so no more Jet right?"

He nodded.

I forced a small smile. "I can make it 'till then."

>>>

It was the middle of the night when I looked out at the sea. The smell of the salt and the sprinkles of water hitting my face was bittersweet.

Not only did it remind me of my life in the South Pole not too long ago, again, it also reminded me of my time on Zuko's ship.

I closed my eyes and let myself reminisce. Yet, it only lasted a few seconds because a said person joined me.

"Couldn't sleep either?" Zuko asked.

I shook my head with a sigh. "Nope. You?"

"If I could, wouldn't I be asleep?"

I pointed my finger at him and cocked my brow, saying don't start.

We both looked out at the sea for a moment before I broke the comforting silence. "Never in my life would I have thought I'd be on a ferry with the banished prince of the Fire Nation going to Ba Sing Se."

"Your childhood wasn't messed up then."

"I didn't say that."

He turned his head to me, "It was?"

I turned to face him. "I didn't say that either."

"I see." Zuko's raspy voice was soothing.

I looked down at my fingers and started to fidget them. "...when my mom died, I was nine. Losing a parent, especially a mom in my opinion, could really damage a kid mentally."

"How did it damage you?" Zuko asked.

"I started to have these nightmares that were brutal. Eventually, I was afraid to be alone. Dark, small places... I was completely terrified of. I always had to be with someone or else I'd have a panic attack. The only two people that are able to calm me down are my dad and brother.

I thought it eventually passed, like it was just some abnormal thing a kid goes through after their parents died. But, a few months ago, I ended up alone in the woods and I had a panic attack."

"I found you on the floor." Zuko said.

I slowly nodded. "I woke up on your rhino. That's really all I remember."

"... I'm sorry about your mother."

"Me too."