02

Ruka (2)

The next morning, I was getting ready to leave with Iroh. He had asked me to come with him and Zuko, which is ridiculous since they're going to the Fire Nation, but Iroh told me to trust him. So I am.

"Ruka, Prince Zuko is already on his way. Are you ready to leave?" Iroh asked me while popping his head into the room.

"Yeah just let me get Kanto!" I put my bag over my shoulder then ran out back. Kanto was looking down at a box when I walked up to him.

"Master Kanto, we're leaving." I told him, placing the other strap over my shoulder. 

Kanto shook his head slowly, "I will no longer be joining you Ruka."

"You're picking now to leave?!"

Kanto handed me the box and when I looked inside, there were several scrolls. "You will become a true master without a problem with these. You're ready."

"Stop being crazy and let's hurry up before they leave us."

"I wish you the best of luck." He bowed to me and I sighed, "Very well then." I pulled him into a hug and he shortly hugged me back after. I pulled away, "Thank you."

"Don't let that prince get into too much trouble."

I chuckled with a nod, "Alright."

"Take care of yourself." Kanto said. "I hope to see you again."

"Ruka!" Iroh called and I sighed, "Goodbye Master Kanto, safe travels."

Kanto waved to me as I ran back through the house and out the other door. 

Iroh and I quickly walked down the steps that would lead us to Azula's ship.

When we saw Zuko, Iroh called to him. "Wait! Don't leave without us!"

When I saw Zuko smile, a real smile - one I'm sure I've never seen, I smiled back.

"Uncle, you've changed your mind!"

"Family sticks together, right?" Iroh said, placing a hand on his nephew's shoulder.

Zuko looked to me past Iroh's shoulder and furrowed his brows, "You're tagging along?"

Before I could reply, Iroh beat me to it. "I've promised her a safe transportation back to the South Pole."

"I see." Zuko replied before him and Iroh looked down to the ship that waited for them - or us - down at the dock. "We're finally going home."

>>>

We walked down the path to the ship's steps with soldiers on either side of us.

The way they were masked and how they stood was overpowering and it sent me chills.

Their armory was exquisite - very noticeable that they work under the royal family.

I tried to keep my head low, not wanting to make contact with any of the soldiers.

Once we stopped at the steps of the ship, Azula called down to us from the top of the ship. "Brother, Uncle, a new friend - welcome!"

We bowed to each other while she continued to talk, "I'm so glad you decided to come!"

The captain turned his body around to the princess, "Are we ready to depart your highness?

"Set a course for home, Captain." She replied.

I looked to Zuko whose face looked relaxed, "Home."

"You heard the Princess! Raise the anchors - we're taking the prisoners home!"

"Prisoners?!" I turned around quickly and slid past some of the soldiers that were handled by Iroh.

I picked up my arms and threw a wave over the soldiers that were throwing flames at me.

While the soldiers were in the water, a duo came charging at me.

I ducked each of their blasts while using two water whips to grab both of them from their neck, picking them up and throwing them into the water.

I looked to Iroh who was also pushing the soldiers into the water. He looked back to the ship, "Zuko! Let's go!"

Dammit Zuko!

I ran past the soldiers that were charging at me, ducking their blasts, sliding under them.

I ran up the steps and once I reached the top of the ship, Zuko was falling down to the floor.

"Zuko!" I ran toward him and I was petrified when I saw Azula creating lightning.

Before she could send her strike, Iroh - who came out of no where - grabbed her fingertips and shot the lightning out of his own to a mountain.

I was amazed at what I saw that I didn't even realize Zuko had me by my wrist while we were running down the ship.

We ran for what felt like hours but probably was only a few miles. We fell down to our knees beside a flowing river while catching our breath.

"I think we're safe here." Iroh said. I looked into my bag that only had my scrolls and a blanket inside. I frowned, I'm awfully hungry.

When I turned my head, I saw Zuko bring a knife to his ponytail and chopped it off. He handed the knife to Iroh and he did he same.

When Iroh handed the knife to me, I wanted to protest but before I could, Zuko warned me. "Azula knows what you look like. You're not safe."

I looked down to the two ponytails that reached down to my thighs. "But... it's taken me years for my hair to get this long."

"It's just hair! It'll grow back!"

I rolled my eyes, taking the knife from Iroh and bringing it to my ponytail. I bit on my lip as I made the first cut.

I looked down to my hair that was now in my hand. I did the same to the other side and I whined when I felt that my hair now reached above my shoulders.

I handed the knife to Zuko with a pout and he rolled his eyes. "You look fine."

I crossed my arms, "Whatever."

We all let our buns/tails into the river and watched them float away.

Side note: this is the hair style that Ruka has now:

Ruka doesn't necessarily look like her now, they just have the same hairstyle

Ruka doesn't necessarily look like her now, they just have the same hairstyle. I hope you liked this chapter! I'm sorry if the fighting scene was a little messy, I need to work on those more.