08

Ruka (2)

As we walked to the boy's home, tons of hybrid pigs were hollering at us. The young boy noticed Zuko and I's cocked brows. "No one can ever sneak up on us." He shrugged.

"Tch, no kidding." Zuko said. The boy took Jimbo to the barn to eat. Meantime, I'm guessing was his father, started to approach us. "You a friend of Lee's?"

Isn't Zuko's cover-up name Lee?

Lee runs out to his father, "These two just stood up to the soldiers! By the end, they practically had them running away!"

A woman, I'm also guessing was his mother, walked over to us. "Do these two have a name?"

Zuko looked down, "I'm - uh,"

Yup, it is.

"He doesn't have to say who he is if he doesn't want to, Sela." The father said.

"Well, I don't mind. I'm Jade." I wearily smiled.

"Anyone who can hold their own against those bully soldiers is welcome here. Those men should be ashamed to wear Earth Kingdom uniforms."

"The real soldiers are off fighting the war, like Lee's big brother, Sensu."

The boy merely smiled at his brother's name.

"I have a family member fighting in the war too, my father." I said. Lee lifted his brows, "Really?" I nodded, "Mhm."

"Suppers going to be ready soon. Would you like to stay?" Sela asked us. Before I could say yes, Zuko responded, "We can't. We should be moving on."

The family of three looked to me with their brows raised and I nodded my head, "Supper sounds great."

"Gansu could use some help on the barn and I could use some help in the kitchen. Why don't you two work for awhile and I'll steal your girlfriend for a bit to help me prepare the food. Then, we'll eat." Sela smiled.

Before I could elucidate that I wasn't Zuko's girlfriend, which I've been having to do often, Zuko simply nodded and we parted from each other.

In the kitchen, Sela started to strike up a conversation. "He seems quiet." I'm sure she was referring to Zuko. I nodded, "He is, he keeps his distant. I apologize about that."

Sela shook her head, "Oh, no don't apologize. Nowadays, sometimes it's best you are."

I continued to mix up the salad in the bowl she handed me and she continued to stir the liquid in the steaming pot.

"How long has your father been fighting in the war?" She asked. "Roughly two years." I responded.

"Have you spoken to him?"

"No, not since he left."

"Keep your hope."

"... nowadays, that's all you can have."

>>>

After supper, I walked with Zuko to the barn where we would be sleeping for the night. Gansu and Sela offered and I quickly accepted, which bothered Zuko a bit.