"Farewell"

"One thing about them
tables...
They always turn."

It was the time of morning, Albert was lying sick on the hospital bed in a huge vip room with white walls, square windows, a table ladened with few files and medicines. He was surrounded by Nina, Simon on his right side and Sam, his lawyer on his left side.

The lawyer notified the family that Albert desires to declare his will as he is unsure of his days left to breath. There was a melancholy in the air in the room. Albert's family was quite aware of the fact that he is to depart really soon and they found it really tough to accept the bitter truth.

***
Sam pov
It was very difficult for me to accomplish the task my dad had assigned me. I know, I was the one perusing him to do it but I never expected such a situation.
I love him. It is not a piece of cake for me to watch him suffering along with this burden of guilt making him weaker time by time.

I came out of my thoughts, by dad's hand gesturing me. I bowed my head and went out to the main corridor. I walked to the main cooridor.

I signalled a lady dressed in grey clothing to follow me, once again with a heavy heart. At first she grasped me by my arms in a consoling hug.
I didn't react to it at all but kept silent throughout and we started moving towards dad's room.
"Excuse me sir, only family members are allowed inside." A nurse stopped us.

"She is family." His lawyer replied.
Her eyes widened in surprise when she heard it. She couldn't believe her ears. That man who once threatened to kill her, now considers her as one of his family member.

Me and Emma entered the room and stood exactly in front of dad. I turned towards dad leaving Emma standing in front of dad alone, and sat by his side, holding his hand.

***
"Ahem ahem, I would like to start with the will of Albert Athens....It is stated that he is declaring his will with a sound mind as his last testimony .....He has confessed of his outrageous crime of murdering his brother, James Athens and illegally taking his share in their father's inheritance...." The lawyer was reading out Albert's will. Everyone was attentively listening to it. It is a matter of truth that none of them found it music to their ears, not even Emma's!

Everyone in that room including Emma had wet eyes. Sam was seated beside his father holding his hand to make him feel strong and that he is not alone while trying his best to suppress his sobs.

The lawyer continued " ....now Mr Albert Athens is guilty of his acts ...he now wants to undo his heinous crimes. He has allotted James share with interest of 25 years to Anna Athens, widow of James Athens..... He also presents his apologies for his widow Anna Athens and his daughter Emma Athens for the murder of James Athens....As Anna Athens is not able to join us hence the documents would be handed over to Emna Athens....The will is concluded." Lawyer stopped with a sigh. He turned to Emma for her signatures. She sighed, looked at Sam for a minute moment and then continued signing the documents.

After all legal formalities the documentation was handed over to Emma. Throughout the reading of will, Emma had wore a plain expression. She was relieved yet grieved.

As the will reading ended, she walked over to Albert and said
"I am sorry for the pain you are going through but believe me, I was the least involved in this. And today I forgive you because my father would have done the same, if he were alive today."

Albert's eyes were saying alot today. Exactly what his children, his brother, his soul wanted him to accept when he was healthy. Today he accepted his truth which he had concealed the whole life.

She was handed over the documents which she accepted and soon left the room without communicating with Sam or Simon because she believed this was not the right time to do so.

Time flew as a bird, it was now late evening when Albert was about to depart to his final destination. His breathing was highly rugged and pulse had dropped to it's lowest values.

His children were with him at that time while his wife, with teary eyes was standing by the wall in shockingly denial. It was quite evident from her reaction that she was not psychologically stable at the moment.

Sam was holding his right hand and Simon had his left hand. Both of them were crying badly and confessing their love for him despite of what he did.
Sam was asking for forgiveness as he blamed himself for this mess.

Suddenly Simon and Sam felt that his hand shoved passed their's, following it the pulse machine started beeping heavily

Suddenly Simon and Sam felt that his hand shoved passed their's, following it the pulse machine started beeping heavily. They knew it was their worst nightmare.
He took his last breaths on his deathbed and expired.
Sam was right.

Nina and Albert

Nina and Albert

"Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live."