Chapter four.

The morning started like no other. Keith woke up feeling great and happy for once, his wrist was sore but his whole body was to all the time, so he looked at the brightside.

He got dressed running downstairs ready to leave out the front door, when a voice ruined his jolly mood.

"Where, do you think you're going?"

The voice was laced with a drunk slur and sounded like the person had no water for days.

Keith looked up at his foster dad. Dave, who took another sip from his beer, Keith gestured slowly to his backpack over his shoulder.

"Still refuse to speak? I know you can." The male stepped closer grabbing ahold of Keith's hair abruptly.

Keith shut his eyes knowing what was coming, A loud smack was heard across the room. Keith's head throbbing as glass shattered over him.

Keith whimpered trying to sooth the pain on the side of his skull but more blows kept coming.

Soon his bruises; had more bruises, and scars were cut open.

His 'Mother' Karen, entered the room after Dave had enough of the loud cry's of pain.

She grabbed Keith's head and wiped the blood off his busted lip and gash under his long hair, "Have a good day!" she called smiling kindly, almost insane like. Her eyes shown a hint of regret, As she pushed him out the door.

Keith grabbed his hood putting it up, he ran quickly to school, he was late...so late. he probably missed first class and half of second. He ran past his classroom he needed to be in, to the bathroom next to it, his hoodie fell as he stared in the dirty mirror at his reflection.

'No.' Keith shook his head seeing his black and blue eyes, and swollen bleeding lip.

He jumped when the bathroom stall behind him opened, he quickly looked down at the sink avoiding whoever saw him.

He grabbed a paper towel wetting it rubbing the wet blood off his pale hand, The person walked next to him washing his hands but Keith could feel eyes on him.

"Keith? Are you okay?"

He jumped staring scared at the tall lanky male, his olive green jacket he was in the process of buttoning, Keith nodded slowly looking back to the mirror. 'Shit, had to be Lance?!'

He looked like shit, and even his eyes held a huge sign for help, Lance stood next to him quietly thinking of words to say, he was confused and kinda hurt that Keith looked like he was in a fight.

But a fight, to Lance's knowledge of his older brother.... His knuckles should be bruised or at least cut open: but nothing on his pale skin.

'It's like he let it happen.' Lance thought to himself. Keith sniffed trying to hold back the sudden urge to cry. He wasn't used to people asking him that.

"Hey, man. I know we just became friends but come here." Lance long arms stretched out as if they were wings, Keith stared confused.

"I was going to give you a hug...you're acting like you never gotten a hug!" Keith looked down nervously.

He never had any physical contact that was nice in his life, that he could remember.

"Oh my god... you haven't!?" Lance stepped closer searching the emo's face for emotions.

"Alright-...um as a friend... I'm not going to hurt you." The gap between them disappeared and Keith's breath did also.

Strong arms wrapped around in a strange way, almost comforting but also terrifying.

Lance traced small circles on his back saying lightly, "You can tell me anything, I'm sorry you got hurt..if you don't talk I understand. Can you nod if you're okay with this hug?"

Keith nodded slowly letting his arms gently wrap around the other's thin waist.

'It truly is a strange feeling having something that isn't harmful, it's kinda nice.' Keith thought.

Keith eyes stayed closed memorizing the way Lance heartbeat rung in his chest, it was a fast pace but slowly grew to a soft pace.

"Would you like to join the trio at lunch? Hunk, Pidge, your buddy Lancey Lance?"

Keith chuckled silently letting his shoulders move up and down, he slowly pulled away smiling gently up at Lance.

He didn't contemplate for a minute before a voice not above a whisper spoke.

And believe when I say Lance couldn't hear anything other then the soft, small, beautifully pitched voice speak for minutes after.

"Sounds lovely."

----