2: Sorry, Joe

I sit on the curb, nervously across the street and few houses down. Sitting outside on a swing is Joe Lamb. His Mom just died in a horrible accident. I really want to go and comfort him and tell him that everything will get better, but that's never going to happen. I've been fighting this battle for an hour now, constantly standing up and then sitting back down.

As much as I want to, there is no way that I'm going to talk to him. He would call we weird or something anyway. 

With a sigh, I stand up again and brush off my jeans.

A car pulls into the Lamb's driveway and Mr. Dainard gets out. That's Alice dad. Alice is a pretty, popular girl at my school.

Since I'm such an outcast, I'm very observational. I notice the things others don't and I know who everyone is. 

I'm not a stalker.....I just remember things. 

A few seconds later, Joe's Dad pushed Louis Dainard out of the house and into his police car. I watch as the car drives past me and disappears down the road. I look back at Joe and see him looking at me. My eyes go wide as I turn and quickly walk away.

"Sorry, Joe," I mutter under my breath. I didn't really want to walk over anyway......

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

"Sara! I'm home!" I call as I step in my house. When I got no reply, I walked into our kitchen and saw a note.

Chloe:

Sorry, I have to work a double shift at the store today. There's some pizza in the fridge if you're hungry. Don't forget to feed BlackJack. 

Love you, Sara

I sigh and throw the note away. 

"BlackJack!" I call. She immediately comes romping into the room, barking and wagging her tail excitedly. Well, at least someone is happy to see me. I smile and pour some food in her bowl. 

After, I walk outside and sit in a chair. BlackJack follows me and rolls over in the snow. I smile and take a picture of her. I am in love with photography. I take pictures of anything and everything. Sara says I have a gift, but I don't really thinks so. I just enjoy it. 

I steady my hand as I take a picture of the sun through the branches of the wintry tree. I can develop it when I go in for work tomorrow. My awful, awful, work.

Could anything be worse?

Well, yes there definitely could. 

I feel a sudden pang in my heart as I think about walking away from Joe. I could have at least waved, right? I could have smiled even. 

I know how it feels to lose someone close out of the blue. I know how I wished that someone would come and comfort me or at least tell me that it will get better. 

I angry sigh at myself and walk back in the house with my dog on my heels. 

I have got to stop being so shy. Starting today, I will try to end my shyness.

Or, maybe tomorrow.