14: Trapped

The five of us quickly make our way over to the dungeon, or the big white box in the parking lot. It has about six padlocks on it and is sealed tight. Joe immediately begins to pull and tug on the door, but it won't budge. "Here, let me try," Charles offers and lifts up the tire iron we got from Donny's car. He puts in in the cracks in the door, but it still won't budge. "God I hope my electronic football's in there," Cary mutters. I roll my eyes at him. That is seriously what he's worried about?! Charles tugs on it again, but he can't get it to move. "Joe this is impossible man," he protests. "There's no way we can do this." Martin takes the iron and wedges it in farther. "What the hell are you doing, Martin?" Cary asks. "Professional robbers can't even get into this!" Charles continues. I grab a side of the door and jerk it as Martin pulls with the iron. The padlocks pop off and fall to the ground. The other three boys stare in shock. "Well I loosened it for you...." Charles mutters. Ignoring him, we open up the doors to reveal piles and piles of old movies. "What is all this junk?" Martin asks. "Research," I mumble.

A few minutes later, we are carrying as many movie rolls as we can carry into the school. We need to get to a room with a projector so we can see what's on these rolls. "I can't believe we are breaking into a school!" Charles says. "Who does that? Nobody does that, idiots do that!" When we get to the room, I take the iron and shatter the glass on the door and pull the door open. We all spread our movies, newspapers, and other notes we found across the table and Charles sets up the projector. Joe begins to read an article about Woodward being discharged from the Air Force while a movie begins to play of a bunch of scientists around a table. A ring fills the air and we all turn to look at Cary, who is playing with the electronic football he found. "Cary!" Joe says. "What?" He doesn't even look up from the game. "We have to find this thing!" Cary sets the game aside and I click on an audio tape of Woodward talking. I'm not exactly sure how this all adds up, but I do know that Alice and Sara will die if we don't find out where this thing could be hiding. If they aren't already dead. "The creature is subterranean...." Woodward says on my audio tape. "Hey Joe, did you hear that?" I ask. He nods and focuses back on the video. I watch to, and see something odd. A rocket ship falls over and breaks apart into a million little white squares. But I think I recognize that metal from somewhere.... "Cary, is that....?" "Yeah, same kind," he immediately answers. "The cube I took from the crash was shaking yesterday. Then it hovered in the air and went flying straight through my wall. My cube was weird though. There was a piece of it missing," Joe says. I take a deep breathe and look at Cary. "I think I know where the piece went....." I mumble, glancing down at my leg again. So that's why it was freaking out last night. It was trying to get back to Joe's piece of the cube.

We keep watching the video and learn that the alien psychically communicates through touch. If it touches you, you understand what its thinking and feeling. We also find out that the Air Force is keeping this monster locked up instead of letting it get back to wherever it came from, and that's why he crashed the train. To try and set it free. Suddenly, we hear a crash from somewhere off in the school. We quickly turn off the projector and the audio tapes. We stare at the door, waiting to see if someone will walk by. All at once, guards burst through the doors, yelling at us with guns held up. They are all yelling "Freeze!" and "Put your hands up!" at once while Charles and Cary are yelling back, so the whole room is in chaos. Guards come toward us, so I grab Cary's hand move as close as possible to him. One grabs me while another grabs him, but I refuse to let him go.

Cary's all I have left, and I'm not letting anything or anybody take him away from me.

Finally, the guards just give up and usher us out the door with our hands still tightly holding on each other. They take our bags from us and begin to go through them. When they get to Cary's the guard is surprised at all the fireworks. "I made those babies myself," Cary says as he pulls out an M-80. "Yeah, that's right." The officer recognizes Joe and takes his Mom's locket. I hug my bracelet tightly to me and hide it in my pocket.

After they are done searching us, they take us out to a bus and secure us in a back section that is locked behind bulletproof glass. I sink down into my seat miserably, my hand still holding on to Cary's. If my life was normal, I wouldn't even be touching Cary. But I guess when you're life can end at any second, you tend to be more risky. You only live one, right?

Light Up My Heart *Super 8/Cary Love Story*On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara