3: It's Called Silent Reading For A Reason

Some time later........

I am sitting in the library in the silent reading section. I come her a lot during school because no one can make fun of me. You know, silent reading. No talking.

Charles walks past my table and I glance up. I have never seen him in the library.Ever.

He walks over to Alice Dainard, who is reading some book at another table. He nervously gets her attention and she looks up. 

"Hey Alice," he whispers. I roll my eyes. Does he not understands the concept ofsilent reading?

"Um, hi," she replies glancing around to see if anyone is listening. 

"I was wondering if maybe you'd like to have a part in my movie?" I look down at my book again, but still listen in the conversation.

"A movie? What kind of movie?"

"Um well it's a zombie movie...we need a wife for our main character and I figured since you're, you know, a girl, maybe you could be her."

"A zombie movie?"

"Uh, yeah."

"Why can't you just get your sister to do it?"

"I'm not in good terms with my sister right now." She sighs through her nose. I look up and see her nod. Charles smiles and starts to tell her the details. 

A zombie movie? That sounds.....really cool. Charles's friends are probably the actors. Let's see, what are their names?

Joe: the boy whose Mom died not that long ago. The one who I didn't have enough courage to comfort or even wave to.

Preston: He is kind of quiet, but not a quiet as me obviously. He's outgoing around his friends, I think.

Martin: He is kind of a nerd, but he's supposedly really nice. He throws up a lot, though. I have seen him in the nurse's office enough times.

Cary: He is a very loud and outgoing boy who is kind of a pyromaniac. Okay, he is a pyromaniac. He has gotten his lighter and fireworks confiscated more than once. 

Out of all the boys, I probably know Cary the most. When we were all younger, I remember he set up his own firework show on the 4th of July. It looked really amazing and sparked my love for fireworks.  

Also, we kind of ran into each other a year ago. I was sitting by myself on the curb outside the school. All of a sudden, three 'popular' girls came out of nowhere and started calling me names and insulting me. After awhile, they figured out that I was ignoring them and reading instead, so they threw my book and started to kick me. I tried to push them off, but it was 3 against 1. I was ready to curl into a ball and let them kick me when someone tore them away. I opened up my eyes and saw Cary yelling at the girls. They rolled their eyes and walked off. Cary turned around and asked if I was alright. Me, being my shy self, quickly nodded and sat up. My side hurt, but I didn't really care. I just wanted to get away and back to the solitude of my room. Cary reached out, but I flinched back away from him. He frowned and tried to touch me again. I jumped up to my feet and stared at him with wide eyes.

"T-thank you," I quickly stuttered and ran off. When I got home, I ran into my room and looked in the mirror. I gasped and touched my face.

I had cut that started from just above my eye, grazed the corner of my eye, and ended at the top of my cheek. (if you have no clue what I mean, look up a picture of Scar from the Lion King. It looks like that) It was bleeding out and I pressed a tissue to it. So that's why he was trying to touch me....

We haven't talked since then. We haven't even made any contact whatsoever. It doesn't surprise me. I mean, who would want to talk to me?

Remember how I said I would try to stop being so shy the day of Mrs. Lamb's funeral? Yeah, well I haven't exactly done well with that. I haven't changed, really. I tried, really I did. I said hello to someone when they sat down at the same table as me and they moved away to a new one.

So much for that.

"Thanks Alice. See you at midnight," Charles whispers. He glances over at me for a second, and I realize I had been watching them talk as I thought. I quickly looked back down at my book as he walked off. 

So, a movie at the train station?  Maybe if I asked, Charles would let me in his movie. Like I would ever talk to him.....

Maybe if I just so happen to appear at the set, they will let me in the movie. I could film it! I'm great with cameras, after all.

I just....I really want some friends. Is that so much to ask for?

"Is this chair taken?" a boy asks me. I look up and see that it's Martin. I shake my head and think of a way I could ask him about his movie without letting on that I easedropped.

But before I could even say anything, he took the chair and moved it to another table with Preston.

Sigh. So much for that. 

I have got to stop being.......me. That settles it then. I am going to that movie tonight and nothing is stopping me.