5. Broken Cameras

I woke up with my head throbbing and something wet on my leg. I slowly sat up and saw BlackJack sitting at the foot of my bed, licking my leg.

"What are you doing, girl?" She moved her head away and I stared down at my leg. My jeans were ripped and dirty, and down toward my ankle was a red gash with a piece of metal still embedded win it.

All at once, the pain washed over me like a wave and I moaned. I slowly got up, favoring my leg, and limped over to my mirror. I was covered with dirt and ashes from head to toe. But it looks like the only thing that got cut was my leg. 

I should probably go see a doctor, but that costs money and money is something we don't have right now. I examined the metal chip in my leg closely. It was white, not gray or black. I tried to touch it, but pain shot through me at the lightest touch. I guess that's staying in there for now. I gingerly wrapped up my leg with some cloth and looked at my clock. If I didn't get moving now, I would be late to work.

I quickly got changed and fed BlackJack. Sara is probably already at her shift at the store. I sighed through my nose and tried to walk as normally as possible. I walked all the way to shop and got there the same time as Donny.

"What's up Little Crow?" he asked with a smirk. Did I mention I was kinda of short? Well, I am. I think I like Little Crow better than Queer Crow.

"Hi Donny," I greeted quietly as we walked into the store. I walked behind the counter and sat down on a stool. I sighed with relief.

"You okay?" Donny asks as he leans against the counter and turns on the lights. Donny has always been nice to me for some reason. Even though he is a pain, it's nice to talk to him sometimes. 

"I hurt my leg yesterday." 

"You know, pot can take the edge off." I glared up at him. He is always trying to sell pot to all our customers. He's such a pothead.

I looked over his shoulder and saw Charles and Joe ride up in their bikes. I quickly spin around and start to repair some broken cameras.

I watch out of the corner of my eyes as Joe walks over to a phone and Charles shows Donny his broken camera. Ouch. That thing is really busted up. It was probably the same one as last night.

Speaking of last night, I take my own camera from my bag (I literally take my camera everywhere) and put it in the pile to develop. Since I work here, I have full access to develop whatever I want, whenever I want. I would do mine first and have the pictures by the end of the day. Well, I could probably have them faster if I did them now. 

".....the lens is cracked, focus ring broke...do you think it's fixable?" Charles asks Donny. Knowing him, he would probably try to get him to buy a new one. 

"I think it'd be cheaper to buy a new one." Yep, totally called it. Charles groans and turns to Joe.

"The camera's busted man, it's over."

"We can use my Dad's camera," Joe says before focusing back on the phone. 

"Hey Chloe, do you think this is fixable?" Donny asks me, trying to be quiet so Charles doesn't hear. Unfortunately for him, he is horrible at being quiet. I saw Charles turn his attention to us. I try to ignore him as much as possible and take the camera in my hands. 

"Well, I could probably replace the lens and reattach the focus ring without too much trouble, but it would be pretty costly. Plus the image might not be as clear as it originally was. I could probably get it pretty close though, if I had some time." 

Donny turns back to Charles and takes the camera from my hands. 

"Well, you heard her. It'll be expensive," Donny says. That was probably the only thing he heard me say. I think he has selective hearing, sometimes. 

"I need this film developed as soon as possible," Charles continues. "Can you do overnight?"

I could.

"@sshole, No one can do overnight. But you wanna buy some pot?" I rolled my eyes and stood up, taking the film from Donny's hands. 

"I can do overnight, @sshole," I said to Donny and put it with the other film, carefully placing it so I know which one is his. Donny glared at me and turned his attention back to Charles.

"Hey what's your sister up to? The hot one, not the other one."

"I don't know.." Both of the boys walked out of the store and rode away.

"Okay, why'd you do that?!" Donny asked. I shrugged and tightened a bolt on a camera.

"You were going to make him pay extra for three days when I could do it in one. It's called being nice." Donny rolled his eyes and took the film.

"Well you can't develop what you can't reach." He puts the film high up on a shelf.

"You're a jerk sometimes, you know."

"Since when are you talking like this? What happened to quiet little Crow?" I shrugged and fell silent.

I should probably tell Charles that Donny's being an idiot and won't let me develop his film. 

And maybe I should tell them I saw what they did. Something about this whole thing is really weird, and I don't like facing it alone.

For once in my life, I need to speak up.

I need to find the others.