11: The Night Before The End Of Sanity

My eyes shoot open as a stabbing pain pulses through me, waking me up. I sit up and quickly look around. We are still in Cary's backyard. He is asleep next to me, his hand still holding mine. I smile lightly and am about to lay back down my pain shoots through me again. A shriek escapes my lips and Cary's eyes shoot up. I grip my leg in pain and close my eyes tightly. All I can feel is a white hot burning pain that feels like it is tearing through my skin.

It's like the pain is trying to dig its way out of me.

I open my eyes a bit and see Cary's worried face and panicked eyes. He's not sure what to do. Well, either do I and it feels like my whole leg is trying to tear itself off.

"Chloe, can you move your hand?" he asks, his voice trembling a bit. I reluctantly let go of my death grip and grip the ground. I watch as Cary eases my right pant leg up again to see the cut.

And we don't believe what we see.

The small chip of metal is dimly glowing now, shaking and squirming in my flesh. I want to faint or pass out, but the pain won't let me. Cary gently touches the piece of metal, and it jerks to the left. I cry out in pain, gripping the ground so hard that I pull dirt and grass from the ground.

Why me? What did I do to deserve losing my family and have a piece of possessed metal get stuck in me?

"Cary," I groan. "Help me. Please." He looks from me to my leg a few times before getting a loose grip on the metal and tries to ease it out. All he really ends up doing is wedging it in more. I moan and dig my nails into my arms.

And then, all at once, it stops. I breath out a sigh of relief and flop back into the grass.

"Oh thank God!" I moan. But Cary is still looking at the metal.

"I know I've seen this metal somewhere before..." he mutters. He looks over at me, his eyes still big.

"Are you okay?" he asks. I glare at him.

"Right, stupid question.....sorry." I slowly remove my hands from my arms and reveal five gashes in each arm from my nails. Oops?

"You're just always getting hurt, aren't you?" he teases.

"I've only been getting hurt since I talked to you again," I tease back. "Maybe pyromaniacs are cursed."

"If by cursed you mean gifted with amazing talent, then yes." I roll my eyes as Cary stands up. He pulls me up from the ground and basically carries me into his house.

All the lights are off and his parents are probably asleep. He takes me into the bathroom and washes and bandages the gashes on my arms. The whole time he's doing this, I'm watching his face. He doesn't seem bothered at all to be helping and caring for me all the time. He actually seems happy to do it. Once he's done, he looks up and sees me watching him. We both end up blushing and looking down.

"Um, do you want me to do something about your leg?" he asks. I shake my head and glance up at him.

How does he not want me to get out of his life? How could this boy be so nice to me?

Since Cary insists, he again practically carries me into his room and makes me lay down on his bed.

"Where are you sleeping?" I ask.

"I'm good with the ground. It's very.....groundy." I roll my eyes at him.

"I'm not making you sleep on the ground.

"And I'm not letting you sleep anywhere else." We stare at each other for a moment, locked in our stalemate.

"Then I guess we're sharing," I say and close my eyes.

"Are you-"

"Just get in the stupid bed, Cary. You're tired, I'm tired, neither of us want to sleep on the ground, and both of us want to sleep on the bed. I don't really see the issue here." I hear him walk across the room, probably to turn the lights off, and then I fell his weight sink down into the bed next to me.

"Thank you, Cary," I whisper.

"For what?"

"For being the only person to care. No one's ever really cared for me."

To my surprise, I feel him softly kiss my forehead. The last thing I hear before slipping into blissful, painless sleep is, "I've always cared."