Part 18

Part 18

"Stop worrying, Lauren. She will be fine," Dash hissed at her. I could barely hear the two of them talk; mainly because they were speaking in hushed whispers and also because I was eavesdropping on them from behind a bookshelf—not a great place for hiding and eavesdropping.

"How do you know? You were there, you saw what happened," Lauren replied. These two were really making me strain my ears to listen in on them. But the main question was, what were they talking about? What did Dash see that no one else saw? What was Lauren referring to?

"Yes, I did see and I'm telling you not to worry. You are safe and I will make sure you stay safe; you can trust me, Lauren," Dash whispered. My heart cracked at his words. Was Lauren Dash's girlfriend? Was he cheating on me? And what did he have to keep her safe from?

"If my parents find out I will be in big trouble. They won't even rescue me. They will say I deserved it and should suffer." Lauren's voice cracked as if she was crying.

"I promise you I will not let anything happen to you. Do you not trust me? Have I ever let you down?" Dash asked.

"Yes, you let me down when you got expelled from that school. You weren't suppose to get expelled and come here; it put a huge dent in my plans," she answered. What were these two upto? Where they partners in crime? If so then what was their crime?

"That was an accident. And personally, I am glad I got expelled and came here. Now I can keep a better eye on you and make sure you are safe," Dash responded. I didn't understand why my eyes were burning until I realized I was crying. Dash's words were hurting me; they were breaking my heart. He was cheating on me, there was no other explanation. I can't believe I'd been so stupid.

"I needed you there. Now I don't have a set of eyes watching over those people," Lauren hissed. This conversation was getting confusing by the syllable. Why did she sound like a conspiracy theorist?

"Those people don't need watching. You, on the other hand, need to be careful. You're already walking on thin ice as it is," Dash replied.

"You don't have to tell me what I already know. The problem is, what am I going to do now?" She enquired.

"You're going to forget this and move on with your life. What's done is done and no one suspects a thing. And let me keep you safe now, Lauren; enough is enough," my boyfriend said. Why was he so adamant about keeping her safe? He always talked about inflicting the ten semesters on me, but he wanted to keep Lauren safe. What did Lauren mean to him anyway?

"I know, Dash, I know. But—I just...can't stop. I've tried to control this. I've tried to stop. But it doesn't go away. This urge doesn't go away," she responded, sounding guilty.

"You will get better, Lauren. I know you will, but you have to trust me to take care of you. Dr. Arnold will come in a few days and you have to let me do the talking when he gets here. Got it?"

A doctor? Was Lauren sick? If she was sick then why did Dash wanted to be the one to talk to her doctor?

There were so many questions I had, so many doubts, but I had no one to ask. And my heart was breaking because it was clear there was something romantic going on between Dash and Lauren, and that Dash was cheating on me with this girl.

"Okay, you can talk to him. Thanks for being with me. God knows what I'll do without you, Dash," Lauren said, forcing me to listen to her instead of my weeping heart.

"You don't have to thank me. Just let me protect you now. I can't lose you, Lauren." If his words could morph into any object then they would transform into knives and stab me in the heart, that's how painful his words were.