Part 35

Part 35

Dash is taking you to the Winter Formal!

I tried to ignore the incessant voice in my head as I shoved vegetables in my mouth. But no, my stupid inner voice kept repeating that sentence like a broken recorder. I hated my inner voice.

"Why are you not eating?" Tracey asked, picking at her muffin.

"I am!" I said, a little too defensively. Great, now she was going to think I was lying to her.

"Okay, what are you thinking about? Is it Dash? You're thinking about Dash, aren't you? I told you I won't let him break your heart again," she rambled.

"Jeez Tracey, give it a rest. I am not thinking about him," I muttered, feeling guilty for lying to my friend.

Dash is taking you to Winter Formal! You are so excited!

While listening to my thoughts, I wondered if it was my inner voice I should be hating or myself. I was angry with Dash and shouldn't be excited about going to the dance with him. Maybe I could go visit my father on the day of the dance. But just the thought of seeing him had me shuddering with fear and anxiety. Going to the dance with Dash was better than visiting my dad.

"Then what are you thinking about?" She demanded to know.

"I am thinking to go visit my dad in a few days," I answered. It was only partly true, but I wasn't going to tell her that.

Tracey burst out laughing. "You are so funny, Bri."

"What the heck?! I can think about visiting him!" I said, affronted.

"No you can't!" She laughed some more.

I scowled. "Well now I will go and visit him."

"You really are funny; why didn't I know this about you?" Okay, she was asking to be punched right now.

"Stop talking, Tracey. And tell me how is Ben." I changed the subject.

A large smile spread over Tracey's face at the mention of Ben. Dang! She got it bad for the guy. "Ben is amazing; you have no idea. He is so sweet and he makes me laugh a lot. I can tell that he is slowly moving on from Janice."

"Does that mean he's asked you out to the dance?" I enquired. Ben never told me whether he planned to take Tracey to the Winter Formal, he just said that he had a gift for her.

"I don't know. I don't think so. He didn't ask me to go with him, but he keeps talking about what I will wear to the dance and all, as if he is expecting me to be there," she answered, confusion lingering in her words.

"That is strange. Maybe he's already asked someone out." I shrugged.

Tracey glared at me. "Don't say things like this, you are supposed to be my best friend."

"Hey, I'm just saying. But you need to have the most stunning dress, so that Ben will notice you," I suggested.

"Yes, I will do that. I hope he notices me," she muttered.

"He'll be blind not to notice you," I stated, before taking a bite of my carrot.

"Excuse me! You are not allowed to sit with us. Leave." My heart stopped as when I heard Tracey nearly shouting. Who was she shouting at?

"I can sit wherever I want." My question was answered in the form of Dash Melwin as he plopped down on the chair next to me.

"No you can't. Everybody hates you here. Shoo. Go and sit somewhere else," she ordered.