Part 30

Part 30

"Earth to Bri, what are you thinking about?" Tracey asked, snapping me back to reality.

"Nothing important; just reading," I lied. I couldn't stop thinking about Dash and Gemma. I knew they were together and I had no right to be angry or hurt because I was the one who moved on first. But I just couldn't see Dash with another girl, even if that girl was the best in all of Burswick Academy.

"Really? Then tell me why haven't you turned the pages of your textbook for the past twenty minutes?" Her eyebrows raised in challenge, daring me to lie to her again.

"That's because I'm reading slowly and carefully." I didn't bother making eye contact with her, simply because Tracey would see the lie on my face.

"Sure you are. I so believe you." Her words, saturated with sarcasm, were enough to make me sigh in defeat and look up at her.

"What do you want?" I snapped.

"I want you to tell me why you are thinking about Dash when you broke up with him?" Tracey questioned.

"Wow, what made you think I'm thinking about him? We broke up. I no longer care who he dates now," I babbled, willing her to believe me.

"I know because I saw you looking at him in the cafeteria the other day," she replied.

"That's because he was behaving weirdly; everybody was looking at him," I defended.

"But not the way you were eyeing him. It was like you wanted him back, Bri. Is that true?" The tone of her voice made me realize that she wouldn't be surprised if I said yes. However, I wanted to pretend like I'd moved on for a few more minutes.

"Is what true?" I feigned ignorance.

Tracey groaned. "You know what. You want him back, don't you?"

"Yeah. Okay. Fine." I slammed my textbook shut. "I want him back. I hate that he is with Gemma. I mean, he told me I was special to him and he just moved on from me in two minutes."

"Oh, somebody's jealous." She grinned, causing me to growl at her.

"Shut up! I'm not jealous. Who would be jealous of Gemma and her perfect everything? I mean, she doesn't even get pimples," I ranted.

"Bri, just because Dash is with Gemma it doesn't mean he likes her," she said.

I looked at her as if she'd grown two heads. "What are you talking about? Why else would Dash be with her? Every guy in Burswick wants Gemma. And Dash is no different."

Tracey shrugged. "I don't think he likes her."

"You're blind," I snapped.

"Am I blind or are you?" She threw at me.

"How can I be blind? Unlike you, I see things for what they are." I glared at my best friend.

"If that were true then you should see that Dash still likes you. I mean, he was so jealous when he saw you with Damien," she replied.

"That's not true. He barely acknowledged our presence." I wanted to believe Tracey with all my heart, but the negative voice in my head made it difficult.

"You don't want to believe me, fine. If you miss him so much then why don't you go to him?" What she was suggesting was easier said than done.

"I can't do that. He is with Gemma now; and I can't ruin their relationship. That won't be fair to her." I told her.

"I think Dash won't think like that. I know he still likes you and wants you back. Maybe he is using Gemma as a rebound," she suggested.

"If he's using her then he is a bigger jerk than I gave him credit for. I hate guys who hurt girls." I crossed my arms in front of my chest, cursing my heart for wanting a guy who didn't care about anybody else except his cousin. I really wanted to tell Tracey about Lauren and how she accidentally killed Janice. And I wanted to talk to Ben as well; to see how he was dealing with his girlfriend's demise. How would he feel if I told him that Janice's death was an accident? And the culprit was none other than his best friend's cousin.