Part 22

Part 22

As the limo stopped in front of a grand mansion, I forced the bile back down my throat. I was not going to puke; I just couldn't embarrass myself like this in front of Dash's father.

"We're here. Let's go, chocolate chip. I'm so excited to introduce you to my family," Dash said, excitement radiating out of him like butterflies.

What kind of an analogy was that?

"Can we not go? I don't feel so good." My stomach was tied in the worst of knots that no boy scout could ever conquer.

"Oh, shortcake, you do look kind of green. Don't worry, I'll have my family's doctor take a look at you. Come." Without wasting another second, Dash pulled me out of the car and begun leading me towards the front doors.

The mansion was the biggest I'd ever seen in my life. It was made of white marble with columns sprouting up with pride like giant beasts to support the triple storey grand structure. Surrounding the mansion were trees and shrubs of every shape and size, closing around it as if trying to protect it from unwanted eyes.

"Dash, where exactly are we?" I enquired as I looked around.

"My father bought a private island just a few miles from the border of the United States and built this mansion for us. My father is a very private man, which is why he built our home away from everybody else. And that's where we are," he answered.

"You mean we are on a private island?" My eyes widened on their own accord, unable to believe his words. A private island. Dash's father owned a private island.

"Yes, exactly. I told my father to buy me an apartment in the country, but he doesn't want to. He is willing to buy another private island for me, but I'm not sure I want that." He told me.

"Your father has way too much wealth. Tell him to stop working so hard," I joked.

"I wish. But the way my Mom is always absent, work is the only thing he has that keeps him focus yet distracted at the same time. It is better that he works rather than sulking in his private study over my mother." There was pure bitterness in his voice as he spoke of his mother.

"I understand. I think that is why my father is a workaholic as well." I squeezed his hand in support. "So, since we are on a private island does that means the ocean is around here somewhere?"

Dash laughed. "Yes, the ocean is just a couple of miles from here. I'll take you there tomorrow. We'll spend the day on the beach."

"Alright, that's perfect. But I'm still nervous about meeting your family," I muttered.

"Don't be. Come. Let's take you inside. My father is eager to meet you." Before I could protest, Dash dragged me inside the mansion. It was strange how the door opened on its own as I saw no one standing there to open it.

The house was just as beautiful on the inside as it was on the outside. The marbled floor gleamed as if somebody had worked tirelessly to make it sparkle. Paintings lined the wall along with fixtures, making it look as if I'd entered a museum. A few potted plants litters the corners, adding chracter to the foyer.

As soon as we neared what I assumed was the living room, I could hear murmurs and they got louder and louder until they transformed into full fledged voices of people. The living room had a magnificent chandelier hanging from the center of the ceiling, along with a few smaller chandeliers hanging in the corners.

When we stepped inside the living room, everybody fell silent and all eyes were upon us. I swallowed hard before tightening my hold on Dash's hand, wishing I could just vanish into thin air instead of being scrutinized by at least thirty people. Dash said he was taking me to see his father, but it looked like his whole family was here.