Chapter Ten

Merry early Christmas everyone! I appreciate all the love this story has received. You guys are awesome xx

It was Friday afternoon and it was almost time to go home. Today was an easy day since all the meetings and paper work got finished earlier this week. Not to blow my own horn or anything, but I was pretty great at this job. It wasn't difficult, just a lot of multitasking.

I didn't know if I was excited or not for Sunday. It was definitely my favorite holiday, but this would be the first year not spending it at home with my family. Alexander said they didn't really do much for Fourth of July, but we may be going to a friend of his for the day. At this point I should be expecting any change to come my home.

My dad had called me the other day and sounded like his old self. I was relieved that he was feeling better, it made all of this worth it. I was disappointed because I wouldn't be able to see any of my family until Thanksgiving, but it gives me something to look forward to. By that time I would be half over with our deal and a closer to actually being home permanently. Though my time with Alex hasn't been terrible, I've actually enjoyed his company. More than I would if I was staying with Diana.

"Hey, Anastasia." I looked up to see John, one of the other employees, walking up to my desk.

He was definitely a good looking guy. His golden blonde hair was cut on the sides super tight while the top was long and brushed back. I had never really talked him though since he was in another department on another floor.

"Hey," I greeted back, putting my pen down. "what's up?"

"A few of us are going to get a drink after work down at Spencer's if you want to come." He invited me, I'm shocked. Since I'm engaged to Alex I didn't think anyone would want to talk outside of work.

I instantly got excited considering all I've been doing were boring meetings and lunches. "Sure, thanks." I eagerly said.

He shot me a smile and nodded. "Cool, see you later."

Once John had turned to walk away I stood up from my desk and opened to door to Alexander's office. I fully expected him to be on the phone, but he was just looking down at his desk reading over something. The clicking of my heels caught his attention. He looked up at me, a small smile gracing his handsome face. "Ana," Alex greeted before looking back down at his work.

I still held the door handle as I had another hand on my hip. "How's everything going?" I asked, not wanting to bring up John right away. I found that easing him into things I want to do works best.

His heavy sigh signaled that things weren't going the best that they could. With his answer also being "It's going," made it pretty obvious as well. Maybe a drink would benefit him more than me. "Everything going alright with you?" He leaned back into the office chair as his hands went behind his head. From this angle I was able to get a better view to see his features looking tired. His stubble was coming in slightly, but I thought that made him even more attractive.

"I can't complain," I said with a nod. "Oh, do you know John White?" I finally brought up.

He raised an eyebrow. "What about him?" His tone lower. Ok so he does know him.

"Funny story—" I started, awkwardly laughing to hide my nervousness. "He invited everyone out for drinks and I thought it'd be a good idea if—"

"No," Alexander cut me off to say, making something in me want to snap.

I crossed my arms over my chest, not standing down on this. "Well I wasn't asking, Alexander." I clarified.

His jaw clenched and released as he placed his hands on the wooden desk, pushing himself up to stand. "I don't want you drunk in front of a bunch of strangers." He snapped.