Chapter Twelve

"There is no story that is not true."
                       - Chinua Achebe.

Adira stood at the door for eight long, nerve cracking minutes. She has been knocking for quite a while but no one seemed to be answering.

Indistinctly, she heard sounds coming from the television in the living room. Guessing it was some kind of documentary on animals, she knew her father had to be in there. She knocked again but still, no answer. Livid now, she promised herself that it would be the last knock. She wasn't in the mood for pressure.

The situation she faced was the only reason why she didn't like the idea of visiting her parents. She spent almost half her time at the door trying to get in.

After a moment, Elizabeth; her mother answered the door looking more like a Nigerian mother, with her bright-coloured wrapper and a wide smile.

"Adira!" her mother called cheerfully, grabbing her hand which she yanked away.

"So you heard me knocking since mama and you didn't get the door," she said with a theatrical frown. "I'm not happy with you. So, don't touch me."

Elizabeth shook her head. "Oh, eyen mi. My love, I was in the kitchen," she whispered. "If there's anyone to blame, it's your father. He has been sitting there watching those animals on the telly for hours now. You know how annoying he can get."

Adira laughed as she entered the spacious sitting room. She was still holding her mother's hand when she passed the large table at the corner of the parlour. Her laugh faded slowly as her father turned to look at her. When he caught her eyes, he smiled.

"Adira dear, always with the grand entrance," he said, his face lighting up.

"Daddy!" she called meekly.

In front of him, she knelt down and wrapped her long hands around him, burying her face in his chest. She inhaled deeply, perceiving his warm and placid scent.

"I've missed you, my dear," he said caressing her hair.

"I've missed you too, daddy."

Her father smiled. "Now get up before you start crying," he sniffed. "You know you're too old for that."

She laughed. "Where's David and Grace?"

"Still in school," her father answered.

"By this time?"

Adira consulted her watch and frowned, sitting next to her father on the camelback.

"They are already done for the day," Elizabeth said with a large tray in her hands. "But David should be playing and Grace waiting. My poor child can't come home without her brother," she chuckled, placing the tray on the stool in front of Daniel, her husband.

Elizabeth eyed Adira asking if she would like to eat but she simply shook her head. Daniel didn't touch his food.

"Oh, that's nice," Adira purred and went for the tumbler on the table. It was filled with dark, red liquid.

"Adira, drop it, would you? It's not yours," Daniel said then sighed dramatically, knowing it was no use.

"What is this rubbish?"

"It's Zobo."

Adira hissed. "And I thought it was wine."

"As if your mother will let me drink wine at this age," Daniel scoffed. He stretched and sighed.