Chapter Thirty-seven

"I do believe that if you haven't learnt about sadness, you cannot appreciate happiness."
                - Nana Mouskouri.

Brenda didn't care if she ran away from Henry on a Monday night. She didn't care about how angry he'd get when he realized she wouldn't be with him anymore. From the news she got, she could run away from him forever.

It had been two weeks since she and Adira posted their photos on Instagram, and if she was allowed to say, it had been the longest two weeks of her life. After checking her email desperately for a million times, she finally found what she was looking for.

She had been shortlisted by a modelling agency in New York and the team had sent a contract through her mail. All she needed to do was sign it. She was a signature away from making her dreams come true.

She smiled dreamingly. She could finally meet powerful designers, photographers, model burnished jewellery, and one-of-a-kind type of dresses. She could finally be herself. She could finally be free.

Her only fear was not knowing if Adira had been scouted or not. If she wasn't, then she wouldn't accept the contract. That was that. She couldn't travel out of the country without her friend. She couldn't live the dream they both shared alone. It just didn't sound fair.

Brenda took off her clothes and got into the shower. In the shower, she danced, wiggling her body. And as she sang, she shouted at the top of her voice.

After her long bath, she walked out of the bathroom and got into something clean and presentable. She grabbed her phone, without any makeup on, without any hesitation, she headed for the door.

Outside, she abruptly found a taxi and was driven to Adira's house.

It was 7:05 AM when Adira heard the banging of her door. She ignored it, pressing her head into her soft pillow.

The knock came again.

"Oh, who is it?" she muttered in a sleepy voice. She sounded utterly annoyed.

She got up reluctantly and marched into the living room. She unlocked the front door and stared at her August visitor.

Brenda held her gaze then shook her head. "You look very ugly."

"Just come inside," she said, covering her mouth absentmindedly.

Brenda flung down her bag on the floor and went straight to the living room. "Sorry I woke you."

Adira hummed, following her closely. She bent down and collected her bag from where it laid, then she tossed it on a sofa next to her.

"Should I come back?" Brenda turned and asked. Of course, she didn't mean that. She was just trying to be humble.

Adira hummed again. "No, what's up?" she asked and fell on the couch, inviting a light sleep.