Chapter Thirty-three

"Each life is made up of mistakes and learning..."
                       - Billy Graham.

Benjamin sat on one of the leather chairs, his huge body concealing the back of the chair. He blew air out from his mouth as his eyes darted from left to right. He was nervous. He knew he should be at home but since he had agreed on coming out in the evening, he didn't have anyone else to blame. He had to suck it up. After all, he did want to see Adira again.

Consulting his watch with each second that passed, he waited. He didn't notice when Adira walked.

"Ben?" she cooed.

He looked up almost immediately, then he smiled, delighted to see her.

"Adira, how are you doing?" he stood up to greet her.

"I'm good," she answered listlessly and went in for a warm embrace.

A surprise embrace to Benjamin, because he was shocked as hell. She had never initiated anything since they've known each other. She was always so stiff about everything, so stolid. So, this was a surprise. A good one.

He took her gently to himself like she was the most delicate thing. He squeezed her lightly, enjoying the warmth her body gave. Her body was soft in his arms and for a solid moment, he felt that was where it belonged.

Adira redrew herself from him and smiled. He smiled back, staring at her with an uneasy excitement.

She looked exquisite as always, though she wasn't putting on any makeup and there wasn't any jewellery in sight. It also looked like she had lost a few more pounds.

"Are you sure you're alright?" he asked and sat down back in his chair.

Adira flung herself down in one of the chairs that looked more comfortable to her and shook her head. "No. I'm not fine," she professed and it felt so good to say it out loud.

"What happened?" Benjamin asked, his voice worried.

Adira shivered, but it wasn't due to the nippy weather.

"Are you cold?" he asked.

She shook her head no.

"What would you like to drink? Should I get you something hot?" he asked, his eyes flicking.

"I want something light. Wine would be fine. Just white wine," she smiled ruefully.

The restaurant was as quiet as she wanted it to be. There weren't so many people in it and the soothing music calmed her nerves. The waiter was friendly too. She couldn't ask for more.

Benjamin ordered a bottle of white wine and they both waited, not speaking, just staring at each other. It didn't bother Adira. Surprisingly, it wasn't awkward at all.

Maybe I could finally let my walls down, she thought. Maybe I could finally let someone love me again.

The waiter returned with a bottle of what they ordered and two crystal wine glasses. He placed them on the table and uncorked the bottle. He bowed before scurrying away.

"So, are you going to tell me what happened or do I have to guess?" Benjamin said, pouring the wine into her wine glass.

"I can't talk while you're busy. Why don't you finish with what you're doing? When you're done I'll try my best to tell you everything."

"Everything?" he inquired, filling his own glass.

"Yes, everything."

"Promise?"